GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
I would like to add to this, if memory serves right, I remember reading somewhere or I might of dreamed it up, who knows, anyways that the possibility of utilizing a 40 tooth reluctor wheel on the T56's output shaft and reuse the stock speed sensor so the speedo and cruise would work, here's a website that sells the reluctor wheels, I could of swore I found something else like this for $40 though. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Reluctor.html

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah some people may have issues with the difference in the VSS reluctor, but there's no need to mess with all the reluctor stuff if you have a 96+ OBDII truck, all that is needed is some changing in the tune for the 17 tooth reluctor, and everything works just fine. if you've got a pre-OBDII you may need to look at other routes, though its possible that a corrected chip could fix the issue, but I don't know. I'm not an OBDI kinda guy.

that company you linked to did make the 40 tooth wheels, but they no longer supply them, the info is kinda just there for information than anyhting else, last I heard. but I never looked into it much becuse I didn't need to change reluctors for anything since I'm OBDII
for some info check out this thread around post 252 through ~277 for some good reluctor info
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthread.php?315317-T56-swap-has-began/page13&highlight=reluctor

'Rado, did you ever get your speedo working correctly in the '90?

BTW, welcome to the site kenny and bigredchevy

Last edited:

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of this? I'm interested in this since I don't feel like wiring up this stupid dakota digital box.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the flywheel, if the LT flywheel works, will the T56 pressure plate mate to the vortec flywheel?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the flywheel, if the LT flywheel works, will the T56 pressure plate mate to the vortec flywheel?

if you're swapping from a automatic you won't have a flywheel, you'll have a flexplate. and that won't work. I don't know about a 5 speed SBC flywheel with a T56, but I doubt it would. the T56 flywheel is a 153 tooth flywheel and the SBC one is a 168 tooth (IIRC) so fitment in the bellhousing may be an issue, plus the SBC's use a push style clutch, where the T56 flywheel is a pull style, so the T56 clutch setup most likely wouldn't correctly mate to a SBC flywheel.

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
If you have the time to PS it, that would be great so I'll have better idea on how to do this. I get what your saying but pictures make it a lot easier to do.