Getting ready to replace engine, need opinions please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where can they be found. How is tuning them? Which one would be a good fit for a 350 vortec?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They can be found everywhere. They use the same parts as a holley carb. A stock 350 could probably be fine with a 650

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with the vortec because of the roller cam. I would drop in a LT4 hot cam or similar with full roller rockers and have a solid 300hp with a nice torque curve and a low friction quick revving engine.

Is this a specific cam or is there different specs to choose from with this line of cams? I'm looking for more bottom to mid range power, I want daily drivability.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I've been doing some thinking and searching latley about my swap. My current 305 is burning loads of oil, sometimes knocks and now has coolant going into the oil.

I want the Vortec 350 option for the 8500lb gvwr trucks. And to hell with the carb swap lol. I want to keep the TBI use an inexpensive vortec carb manifold with a tbi adapter. Gonna have to upgrade the tbi, ultimate mods bored and upped fuel pressure.

From what I gathered I will need a mellonized distributor gear for the tbi distributor.

Will I need a water pump from a vortec? Is the crank position sensor needed in the timing cover?

How about flywheel and starter, can I use what I have or will I need vortec specific ones? If so will, will my 5lm60 5 speed work with it?

Just want to get all my ducks in a row. Planning on pulling the trigger come tax return time, roughly 2 months from now.

Anything I'm forgetting or should consider? Thanks

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
flywheel is fine, snesor in cover isnt needed so just get standard cover, starter is fine, youll need the proper fly/flexplate for the manual trans. water pump for tbi will be fine, your 305 one should swap over, mellonized dizzy? what do you mean by that