Need some help/insight on what direction to go with engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kavurider

Reaction score
Brand new to this forum, but I have already learned a ton just by reading different threads.

I picked up a 1993 Chevy Suburban K2500, it is a dually conversion. The original engine (454) was yanked by the previous owner, his shop truck died and he grabbed the engine out of the 'Burb. I picked it up with the original intention of doing an LS swap, but after buying a used LS 6.0 and starting to tear it down...I realized that this is going to be more of a project than I can handle right now.

So now I am back to trying to figure out the best direction to go. No matter what, I will have to pay a shop to do this, I can't do the swap on my own. Option 1 is to go with the LS swap, but that will require a lot of custom work (wiring, mounts, etc). Option 2, have a shop put a 454 back in it, but apparently parts for the TBI engines are incredibly hard to find right now. Option 3, sell it.

The biggest hurdle I am running into is that I live in Phoenix and I am concerned about the tighter emissions testing regulations. The only shop I have talked to suggested I go with a carb since the TBI throttle bodies are hard to find, but I can't with emissions.

I would rather not sell this thing, but if it is going to be a nightmare, I might have no choice. Thank you!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't be that tough to find a 454 suitable for the 'burban, and a throttle body to go with it.

I don't know the Phoenix area--visited, but never wandered the Treasure Yards there. Ideally, you'd find a TBI 454 of the same model year, or close enough to drop in, connect the existing wiring, and drive away. Some of the later 454 TBIs used higher-pressure fuel pumps and different injectors, I don't remember when that change took place. Earlier 454 TBIs used a Q-jet intake manifold and a bigass water-heated adapter plate. I'm thinking '93 is in-between those two extremes.

How much you'd have to do to the replacement engine depends on the condition it's in. Generally a good idea to re-gasket/re-seal, and maybe toss in a timing set, but whether you'd need or want to replace bearings/rings/bore/hone/deck is dependent on so many other factors.

Are the radiator, catalytic converters, fuel pump/fuel plumbing, etc. still in usable condition?

kavurider

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!
I believe the fuel pump/lines are still in good condition. The radiator is a bit beat up, will probably replace it just to be safe. I don't have any of the original engine parts, including the air cleaner, throttle body, etc. So I would have to source those as well.
As for the cat, no idea, would probably need to hook up the engine, get it tested and see what condition it is in.

This wouldn't be a daily driver, just kind of a side project vehicle, so I was intrigued about going with a carburetor, but again, I don't think it would pass emissions.