Getting ready to replace engine, need opinions please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'm looking at the stock replacement motor for 96+ 8600GVW trucks. Like skylark said it has roller valvetrain.

On mine i'll be using a L31 GM Performance Crate, Edelbrock Performer Vortec style intake, Headers, Edelbrock Performer and MSD ignition products w/ Delco Plugs.. I think it will give me the reliability of a 350, and being brand new, won't be a dog in contrast to the 6.5.

I think that combination would really be a signficant power increase over your 305...

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah thats true i guess. I like their whole performer set up.

But yeah i think regardless that would be a solid set up. For me anyways, this truck although a 3500 Crew cab doesn't need to pull 10k, a 350 will suffice my needs.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just like to save money when i can and not use edelbrock, i think theres much better options out there

I hear that. But I am pretty set on an edlebrock carb for now, seems like a good choice. I'm not too concerned about the brand of manifold

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which long tube headers work with the vortec heads? I don't need any emissions ports or any junk like that