Getting ready to replace engine, need opinions please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the 305 in my truck has been tired, it smokes, knocks and is low on power. I have found 2 options so far for a replacement.

Option 1: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...002&langId=-1&productId=2114647&storeId=10001
Looks like the cost effective way to go, has mostly everything I need minus the headers and new water pump. Can I just use a water pump made for my truck and have it work no problem? I know this motor is the older design with flat tappet cam and 2 piece rear main but it puts out 260hp and 350tq from the get go. Maybe use a better cam?

Option 2: http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/12530283/10002/-1
Ok now this engine comes alone so I will have to gather all the parts like manifold, carb, HEI dist., coil, ect. Now we know the vortec has the better design heads and roller cam but will set back the wallet some more. Will my accessories bolt on the front of the vortec?

Not looking for a power house just a reliable motor with 300 or less horse power.

Any opinions or tips are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id go with the roller block, get yourself a carb intake from jegs and a tbi adapter, bump your fp and do the ultimate tbi mods, you can reuse your dist if still good, yes your accesories will bolt on still. thats just my 2 cents though, the vortec heads and bigger cam and such would be much more lively than 260hp older style engine.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Option one should be much more lively then what I have now. I'm guessing that one is roughly double the horsepower of my current motor

Anyone know what the vortec is rated at?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Option one should be much more lively then what I have now. I'm guessing that one is roughly double the horsepower of my current motor

Anyone know what the vortec is rated at?

If you mean the 350 vortec, I'm pretty sure it's rated at 255, so your option one is right around the same deal in terms of power.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I like this idea, in fact i'm looking into these exact motors to replace my worn out 6.5.... if you get one before i do you'll have to do a review on it, let me know how it works. I'm just looking for reliability over my troubled 6.5..

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
If i swap my 6.5 for a gas 350 i'll run one of those GM Performance motors, but i'll be running tube headers with my 4" diamond eye exhaust, probably a Y pipe and a muffler of some kind to quiet it down.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with the vortec because of the roller cam. I would drop in a LT4 hot cam or similar with full roller rockers and have a solid 300hp with a nice torque curve and a low friction quick revving engine.