Gear ratio ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
hello everybody I would like to change my rear differential gears but I'm unsure what ratio should I get! I have a 1994 c1500 350tbi and I would like to achieve faster takeoff and response. Thanks for any advice

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Post your current gear ratio (found on glove box sticker, post all codes beginning with letter "G").

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
In my black '98 I went from 3.42's to 3.73's. That really woke the ole gal up! Shoulda done that years before! Even with a tired V6, freeway entrance ramps were actually fun! Cruising @ 60mph, hammer down & yoiks! Giddyup! Here we go! With an LS in front of those, it's gonna be stupid fun!

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
In the mean time before I get out of work where is the best place I can get gears for a decent price? I have to change only the ring and pinion right?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
In the mean time before I get out of work where is the best place I can get gears for a decent price? I have to change only the ring and pinion right?

You could do this fairly reasonably or stupid expensively!
If you're going to get that diff. opened up for a gear change, might as well pick up a master rebuild kit at the same time. Better safe than to loose it all to the failure of one part that coulda been changed out while it's already apart. Piece of mind.
Here's one. Includes all but the axle bearings & the shims. Your rear-end builder probably has the shims on the shelf.
I picked these guys 'cause I've used them before & they have a nation wide rep. There are others.

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1664&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

Got posi? If you do, it's probably a gov-lock. A POS! I say ditch it!
You could buy a new REAL posi carrier. For big $$$! Figure around $500!

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1563&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

Or, look in the wreckers for a posi unit out of a mid '90's Impala. Just have to make sure that the axles have the same spline count. Either 28 or 30. That count is either/or in both our trucks & the Impalas. If they are the same count, it's a bolt-in! They are simple to rebuild if that's what you want to do, but most of the time they are fine as they are. It's possible to run 14, 18 or 22 plates. Along with that, you can also run different springs of various tensions so that you can tailor the lock-up to your liking. New spider gear sets are available too.
One thing I do recommend to change on a used carrier is that center pin. They do wear & that can cause mysterious clunks & other noises. They've been known to fail! Then everything goes BOOM! GM no longer has them. I have been told that they are hard to find, new. But Randy's has them listed! Cheap!

Gear sets @ Randy's run from about $200-$275. I recommend a new gear set. On a used set, it's near impossible to get the tooth pattern to be running exactly where it was originally & that ends up causing howling noises.

If your confused or kinda freaked on the costs, talk to your rebuilder first. I know a little about a lot! He'll know better than me! He IS the expert, after all! Lol!

Last edited:

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Sewlow lots of very important info !!! I'll look into my options with the mechanic and I will take it from there. Thanks again