Fuzzy's 97 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess I'll start a build thread on my truck, although I don't have much to show right now.

I purchased this truck back in August and its a 1997 K1500 Cheyenne with the 4.3, NP241, NV3500 and 3.73s, Manual everything with Cruise Control and a sun roof for some reason. When I bought it it had 236,000 miles on it with a new clutch in Jan. of 2014. The body is in pretty rough shape as it was a farm truck, however it's pretty rust free for the year, only a little rust on the pass cab corner but bed and fenders are solid, and mechanically everything is in decent condition. Over the last 8 months I've put 10,000 miles on it with few setbacks, I learned how to drive stick in this truck and I've put it through hell so far, I never thought much of the Vortec V6 however I have been VERY impressed with it thus far.

So Far I've done the following:
Removed Brush Guard/Broken Off Road Lights
Stripped and Painted the Stock Steelies
Replaced Passenger Side CV Axle
Front Pads
Metal Skid Plate to replace that plastic crap
Removed Bumper Valance
Black Bowtie
New Headunit and Front Speakers
Door Pins and Bushings
Drivers Side Leaf Spring Hanger and Shackle (It was bent to hell and twisted from the Prev Owner)
Hazard Light Switch
Replaced Steering wheel with Leather Wrapped one
Replaced Work Truck seats with Silverado Seats (Originally had 6 way buckets but couldnt find a center console in decent condition so I switch to 60/40 with flip down console)
Cranked T-Bars
Used 285s for now
Removed Fender Flares (Back two appear to have been ripped off so I only had fronts)
25%/10% Tint (gonna have to be redone professionally, It looks pretty bad from my install)

Plans are kinda up in the air at the moment but basically:
New Wheel/Tire Combo (285s and some NBS Steelies probably)
Clear Headlights/Corners/Signals Anzo Clear Headlights/Parking Lights/Clear Corners
Smooth Diesel Bumper, Might Color Match Black Smooth Bumper for now
4 Hi Mod
Interior LEDs
10bolt with G80 or 14bolt to replace my current 10bolt that's leaking Replaced Diff Gasket, Still needs Pinion Seal
New Truck Bed (Driver Side bedside is all smashed up from what looks like a yellow parking post)
Cab Corners (pass side has some rust and drivers side is beat up)
Driver Side Door
Hood
Repaint Roof
Maybe a 2" BL
Power Window Conversion
Carpet to replace the vinyl floor Constantly spilling crap on my floor, probably gonna stick with the rubber for now.
Either a 5.7 Vortec or maybe a 5.3/6.0 Swap
Replace Front/Rear Speakers and add a mini amp

Unfortunately lots of plans and not a lot of money to do them, however I hope to slowly bring this truck back to a decent state.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the outside from a distance. Unfortunately I lost the pic I had of it when I got it so you can't really see how its changed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
"Lots of plans and no money to do them" seems to be a theme lately. I know it all too well. But work at it slowly and it will be great when done!

jedifan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your truck will be in perfect condition soon. Good luck! :)

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Looks like a solid starting point. I understand the money issue, I think we all have it lol.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your truck will be in perfect condition soon. Good luck! :)

I hope so, thanks.

"Lots of plans and no money to do them" seems to be a theme lately. I know it all too well. But work at it slowly and it will be great when done!

Looks like a solid starting point. I understand the money issue, I think we all have it lol.

Yeah, good thing there's lots of these trucks around to scavenge parts off of. That helps make things cheaper.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced all the shocks tonight with Rancho RS5000's, which I know some people arent to fond of but the shocks I took off had to have been the original ones. Rides much better now.

Also have new front end parts to throw on this weekend (Balljoints/Tie Rod ends/Idler/Pitman/Sway Bar/Bushings) so that should be fun, all that stuff looks to be original too.

and finally I ordered a set of Clear Anzo's to replace my yellowed headlights.

As far as overall plans for the truck, as of now i'm planning on doing a GMC Grill with Color Matched Diesel bumper with Chrome NBS 16" steelies and Duratracs

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did a lot of work to the truck this weekend. Replaced all the front end parts minus pitman/idler and the drivers side lower ball joint. Also replaced the rear u joint because I obliterated the one that had apparently been on the truck from the factory, and drained and refilled the diff which is good because it was pretty much filled with creek water, also got my Anzos and got those put on, so much better light out put, just need to do 4 Hi and maybe HIDs now.

Pictures

This is what was in the rear diff when I pulled the cover, completely filled with this watery oil. I guess getting you truck stuck in a creek for an hour and a half will let some water in through the vent tube :eek:. I was surprised everything inside the housing looked to be in excellent condition, especially with how I've been driving it.

Changing the Headlights

and a picture with the new lights, Clear Anzos with Blacked out Corners, really happy with how it turned out.

Also replaced the 4x4 Actuator and when we pulled that out of the front diff a bunch of water came out, so that's probably a 50/50 mix of water and oil in the front too, but 4x4 works again.

and finally I picked up a hvac head unit and a junk yard tailgate since my handle and latch rods were completely wrecked. Almost picked up a 14Bolt SF that was in the scrap yard but it was 3.42 and non G80 so I passed, still thinking about going back to get it and resell since I can get it for <$100 at that yard.

Also gonna sell the corners that came with my headlights, don't need or want clear corners so if someone wants them message me.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well unfortunate news for the truck, as I was driving to meet some friends the other night I put the clutch in to shift and it lost all pressure. Luckily I noticed it wouldn't disengage before I stopped and managed to limp it about a mile down the road without using the clutch to shift. After I got to a parking lot I check the master cylinder to make sure I still had fluid in there and I didn't lose any. I knew the truck wasn't going to make it home though, so to forgo having a $150 tow bill I tasked my brother with getting my truck home for me as I had to work the next day.

(This is something I hope I don't have to see again for a long time)

When I got the truck to the parking lot I did a quick inspection to see what could have went wrong, I immediately checked the pedal linkage and fluid level but quickly came to the conclusion that it's probably a bad slave or release bearing as I didn't lose any fluid. That's not to say the clutch is salvageable though, as I looking through the inspection port I pulled out this chunk of clutch material. So I guess the last 12,000 miles have been a little too rough on the poor clutch.

So I went ahead and ordered a new clutch kit and slave cylinder, all that should be here by Monday.

I was planning on removing the T-Case and Transmission using just my floor jack, but I after finding out the T-Case weighs almost 200lbs I decided to buy a low profile trans jack from summit and not risk dropping that on my leg or something.

I guess I've pretty well sealed my fate with this truck though, for some stupid reason I'd rather fix it than sell it and cut my losses.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty good while since I've updated this, but lots has changed thankfully.

Well first things first I had to replace the clutch that went out, although the previous owner said it was replaced Jan. 2014 I apparently managed to completely annihilate it behind my 4.3. I can't be upset though as I've driven the hell out of this truck for the 12k miles I had put on it at this point. I ended up getting a ebay clutch to replace it which surprisingly has been a great clutch thus far. As far as replacing it went everything week as smoothly as I could have hoped, I did have to cut the exhaust as the PO had welded pipe in place of the flange after the cat. While the 4.3 has a surprisingly nice rumble at idle I couldnt deal with any noise it dumped under my seat about 2500rpm so I quickly fixed that, as well as my leaking exhaust donuts while I had the y-pipe out. Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures during the clutch replacement as I needed it done asap. Shortly after I needed to use 4wd and as I was backing up I heard, and felt the terrible noise of my front drive shafts u-joint destroying itself. I knew those were on borrowed time so I ended up replacing both those so now I have all new U-joints all the way around. Again, no pictures.

After all the drive train problems the truck is now running and driving very well. However I did manage to find a very good condition truck bed for $350, I told the guy I'd come get it that day if he'd take $250 and he said sure, so I borrowed my dads truck and a trailer and went and picked it up. It was ~100 miles away, but it ended up being well worth it. Here's a pic after it was put on the truck.

I lucked out on finding a black truck bed, the bed sides and even rails have no dents and there's no major scratches. In the pics on CL it looked like it had Stainless Rocker Guards on it, but I was very happy to see it didnt when I picked it up.

After the truck bed I ended up getting 2 Fierce Attitudes in 285 for free and these tires are the most impressive tire I've had this far, it is absolutely terrible on wet pavement but it is amazing off road.

Next I replaced all the interior lights with LEDs which I am very happy I did.

Recently I did the 4hi mod and I'm disappointed I didnt do it sooner as it makes the trucks light output so much better.

and today I picked up a Smooth Front bumper from the salvage yard for $30 then went to, oddly enough the same guy I got the truck bed from and got a colormatched grill, drivers side door, and when I mentioned I was looking for a black smooth rear bumper he swapped me in his driveway for the smooth rear off his 6.5. And the grill, bumper, and door only cost $60 and the best part is it's all black.

I only got one picture of it tonight, I'll probably get more in the next few days.

For now the smooth bumper is just plasti-dipped, and I still have to add the glossifier to it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, still needs a hood, but I'll get one of those within the next month, just gonna find a good black one. Also thinking about putting my clear corners back in.

Thinking about getting a valance for it again, not sure.

The plans for now are
Chrome GM wheels, not sure If I just want some NBS Chrome Steelies or something like the 18" NNBS Rims
Billet Inserts for black Grill, maybe billet bowtie
Demold/Debadge
Hood
Power Windows
New Speakers/Amp/Maybe Sub
Compass/Temp Mirror

Kinda thinking about a 2" BL and some wider rims/tires. I think a deeper 18" with 33 12.50s would fit. Still not sure what my plans are though

I'll clean it up and post pictures soon, It's turning into a pretty decent truck.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Few updates on the truck, but first a few pictures.

One of my black corner lights completely fell apart in the car wash so I threw my clear ones in, I like it a bit better.

As far as updates go there's been quite a few. The first big one I did was 6k HID's for it, I was a little unsure about the temperature at first, but it's grown on me. Then I went to the salvage yard and got a compass/temp mirror and wired that in. After that I picked up some tires, I ended up going down to 265's as the front 285's were rubbing bad enough to start going through the sidewall of my tires. I don't plan on running 265s for long, just until I get a decent set of wheels for it. Not to long ago I checked the rear axle and found that both my axle seals are leaking, so I just recently ordered new seals for that, as well as all new brake parts for the rear, I also bought a new thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and door handles and locks, so I'll finally be able to lock my truck.

Before winter really hits I plan on pulling the bed and putting something on the frame to protect it, I also plan on getting a new hood and removing the decals/pinstripe/demolding the truck, and I want to try and touch up the drivers side door paint as best I can.

I've also been tossing around the idea of picking up a newer car as a DD, If that happens I'm going to pick up a 6.0 from the salvage yard and start preparing for an LS swap.