Funeral notice. Dead 4.3! Going V8. What's next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
its really that hard o was going to use my NV3500 but changed my mind. i got a 3600 stall being built as we speak. i will pick it up friday. so the motor is going in this weekend.

the LS motor get alot better MPG then the old vortecs. pluse the aftermarket is full fun go fast fun stuff lol... by doing the 6.0 LQ9 or LQ4 i would still get a heat of L92 heads and and nice cam to go with it. you can go to LS1tech can find them from $700 on up. the intake can be gotten on ebay or the same web site i just said. there saying now that the truck intake is almost as good as the car LS3.

but i cant say this enough.... LS motors can make power with just bolt on parts. now with a mild nad i say mild oort job, my motor guy said they have see close to 45hp gain with the matching cam.

so boss pick your poision lol and like i sais call me i will help as mush as i can down here for you.

What makes it so much more difficult? And if I went with a 4L60E, would I still be able to keep 4wd? How difficult would it be to install the automatic transmission in the manual? I know I would need to weld the hole in cab floor, and I may need a new gauge cluster. And then of course I would need the automatic shift linkage. Anything else?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
floor shifter....that solves your gauge, hole in floor, and shift linkage problems. switching to the automatic solves what again? I'm trying to figure out myself what the issue with keeping the stick is....I'm guessing you'd have to swap the bellhousing at the least?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the problrm i ran into trying to use the NV3500 is that they dont mate up right. i got the 4.8 LS flywheel and it fit the motor and has the right spacing.. and what i mean about spacing is, on the LS motor the crank is flat and is sunk in unlike the old 350 there flush with the back of the block.. hint why on the older TH350 400 or 700R trans you have to buy a spacer to space the flywheel out to mate the older trans to the LS motor. or go find the 2000 6.0 flywheel and it has the spacer built into the flywheel. now here is when it get funny, chevy changed there flywheel in 2003 to a dish shape flywheel. they only work with the 2003 to 2008 i think..

now back to the standard stuff.. like i said i got a flywheel for a 2001 4.8 it has the right spacing and would work BUT!! the clutch and pressure plate are diff. on the 96 to 99 OBS the clutch has a wider contact pach over the 2000 NBS. i had my parts store get me a clutch set for a 4.3 96 and a 5.7 98 and a 4.8 00 and there all different. the 2000 clutch is 12" and the clutch surf is smaller.. now if you use the OBS clutch it will over hange the flywheel and burn up. it would be like having your brake pads sticking above your rotors. at some point they will wear a groove in them.. so i said forget it and changed over to a 4l60e lol i would spend more money trying to run the NV3500..

now if your truck is 94 down its easy to run the NV3500 cuz these trucks still have the fork type clutchs but the 96+ have a hyd. throw out bearing..

hope this helps lol

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey boss mine spun a bearing today on the way home from picking up my trans so i feel your pain.. i just hit 300,000 miles a few days ago..

here is my baby now..

You must be registered for see images attach

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. So it would require a custom flywheel to retro-fit the nv3500 to the LS engine? Is that the only thing, or anything else you could think of?

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6.0L LQ4 out of a 2002 2500HD. Gonna be your best best, easiest for that motor for the swap. Dependability ease of maintanance, bolts ons, mpg, is key for me I plan to to the swap as well.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im posting this just to show the difference in the motor mounts... my left side mount was broke so i called the auto parts store to get a price and WOW 1 mount for the V6 was $70.. so i asked whats the price for the V8 mount.. there $25 so i changed over to the V8 mounts lol for $50... the pic below i have the V8 mount on the driver side and the V6 mount on the pass side.. a BIG differences in them.. OH OH and a PAIN IN THE *** to change....!!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So...I was enjoying one of my favourite activities yesterday. (Easy now, not what you're thinking!) I was being a wrecker rat, & guess what I found. A 2004 6.0 LQ9 in an Escalade. 70,000 miles. Complete from pan to air cleaner, including the harness & computer. Told the guys what I'm doing & they said that they are very familar with the swap, and know what's required. They will pull the engine & everything related without doing a hack job. All I have to do is back-in my shop truck & they'll load it up, with everything complete, for $1200.00. Giddyup!