full coolant flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, there is LOTS of gunk in there. It would also be wise to install a strainer or filter in-line with the heater inlet hose. Putting prestone flush in my block loosened up a ton of gunk, and has clogged my strainer about 4 times now. At least I haven't gone through 4 heater cores in that time.
I've never heard of a filter that would work in a heater hose. Where can I get one ? Thanks

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Search heater core strainer in forums. Pops right up, I don't know how to post a link

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never heard of a filter that would work in a heater hose. Where can I get one ? Thanks
I bought the strainer and fittings from Grainger. Use Google shopping with the item number to find the cheapest one.

If I remember right it was a little over $100 for the strainer and stainless barb fittings. Its better than swapping out a heater core because its stopped up though.

To get it really clean, pour some CLR down the hoses and fill with water. Let that sit and loosen the crud while you flush your block. Then back flush that out, and maybe change your hoses if you're going to.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wish it was cheaper.. for water pumps cardone or airtex or both about equal?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of a cheap alternative to make a strainer. A couple of brass fittings and a washing machine hose strainer.

You must be registered for see images attach

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just check the Cheapy often seems like it likes to clog before a few hundred from other's experiences

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not real sure about that idea. It is just the heater core though, so it would cause an overheating issue I don't think. One suggestion I saw said to just substitute a regular water hose rubber washer in during the winter for full flow, and use the screen during the warmer months.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright just waiting on rock auto now. Got 10 gallons of distilled, flush and fill kit, 2 flush concentrate, coolant tester, and 3 gallons green concentrate. It was all pretty cheap in total under 100 with RA (new themo, clutch, cap) do you guys just leave the tee in the inlet for future use or swap it out with something else?

Water pump isn't leaking so I'll prob do that mid year and flush the system again beforehand (no idea of its stock or not)

Last edited: