Coolant flush issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, flushing my coolant right now, and not happy with what I'm seeing.

had green coolant in it and I used prestone coolant flush chemical. Now I'm flushing with distilled water.

I'm noticing that my coolant is foaming bad at the top of the rad. I thought it might've been the flush chemical I put in, but no matter how many flushes I do its not clearing up.

when I shut the engine off the foam overflows the rad and spills on the ground then stops foaming. Do you guys think air is stuck in the system or something more sinister like a blown head gasket?

Pictures are of foam and the coolant coming out of the engine. It looks rusty in there but hopefully it's not oil in there.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20230802_151309.jpg
    20230802_151309.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 17

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a chemical flush in mine, and it took a while for it all to come out. Just keep at it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the block drain on the left side, and the knock sensor on the right side, (small-block) or both block drain plugs (big-block) to drain the block properly?

MY vehicles get brass draincock(s) instead of the iron/steel OEM drain plugs. But the knock sensor can't be replaced with a draincock. It does need to go back in with thread sealer, and to a specific torque spec.

"Flushing with distilled water" is going to take a shitload of distilled water. Use a garden hose and tap-water.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp none of this matters now. One of the thermostat housing bolts broke off.

Right now Im trying a extractor, need to get a tap wrench to spin it. I dont think it's going to work at all.

My next option would be a helicoil, but since my drilling was slightly off center using the extractor, how would I drill it out properly without drilling into the intake for the helicoil?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drill slowly and carefully and feel for the bit to drop through the bolt then stop. If you haven't drilled too large yet you may be able to walk the bit over to center. Once you get the hole drilled through warm the manifold around the broken bolt with a torch then flood the hole with penetrating oil. Let it sit overnight if you can. Warm the manifold again,drive in the EZ out and hopefully the fastener will break free and come out. Use the square EZ outs. The spiral extractor will swell the broken fastener and make it bind.
If you do it right you won't need a helicoil but you will probably need to clean out the hole. You can use a tap but what I've found that works better is a bolt of the same size and pitch and grind two opposing flats across the threads. This makes a nice thread chaser that won't cut the already formed threads.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drill slowly and carefully and feel for the bit to drop through the bolt then stop. If you haven't drilled too large yet you may be able to walk the bit over to center. Once you get the hole drilled through warm the manifold around the broken bolt with a torch then flood the hole with penetrating oil. Let it sit overnight if you can. Warm the manifold again,drive in the EZ out and hopefully the fastener will break free and come out. Use the square EZ outs. The spiral extractor will swell the broken fastener and make it bind.
If you do it right you won't need a helicoil but you will probably need to clean out the hole. You can use a tap but what I've found that works better is a bolt of the same size and pitch and grind two opposing flats across the threads. This makes a nice thread chaser that won't cut the already formed threads.
Well, the hole is pretty deep, off center and I am using a rounded extractor thats stuck in there now lol.

I'm probably going to need a used manifold at this point. Sad because the one on there is an edelbrock one. Ill see what I can do.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the hole is pretty deep, off center and I am using a rounded extractor thats stuck in there now lol.

I'm probably going to need a used manifold at this point. Sad because the one on there is an edelbrock one. Ill see what I can do.
That's a kind of pricey intake (the Edelbrock TBI if that's what you have) ... I'd keep working at it. Can't get the extractor out? Did it break? That's why I avoid that style and go with the square style like Scooter mentioned. I say keep at it but use patience; you don't want a thermostat replacement to turn into an intake gasket job.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't get that bolt out STOP! Pull the manifold and take it to a machine shop that has a milling machine. They can clamp it to the table and center it up over that bolt and cut it out with an end mill,tap and install a tread insert or(yuck!)helicoil.