Fuel pump brand question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was some thick gooey stuff on top of fuel pump sending unit that i had to use a pick, screwdriver, a brush and laquer thinner on to remove so i could pull the pump and not have any of this fall into the tank. When i was done e pump swap, i used some dow corning DC33 o ring lube on all the o rings, then after i installed it, i packed it back in and around the outside of the sender, and around the B nuts to prevent corrosion. I think the factory put that goop there to keep moisture from sitting there rotting out the tank. This area was super clean and rust free when i took it apart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking at a Denso replacement pump cartridge for my 94 1500. Fuel sender works fine, figured i'd replace just the pump motor. Any of you use one of these Denso pump motors ? I used a delco pump cartridge on my wifes old 99 suburban K1500 and it lasted 6 weeks and died. Ended up buying a complete pump and sender assembly 6 weeks later. Kinda concerned about just using another cartridge. First time using a denso pump cartridge. Any thoughts.

That Delco pump you had that went bad could have been an airtex in a Delco box. I have never seen a Delco pump fail that quickly. I would recommend a GM Delphi pump or a Bosch. I used a Bosch pump and they run whisper quite and the pump body is made of metal not plastic. I used a Bosch pump on a 2 door Tahoe and it worked great. For my 97 Chevy suburban k1500 I got a Delphi pump/sender assembly I will not use any other brand in a GM vehicle

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That Delco pump you had that went bad could have been an airtex in a Delco box. I have never seen a Delco pump fail that quickly. I would recommend a GM Delphi pump or a Bosch. I used a Bosch pump and they run whisper quite and the pump body is made of metal not plastic. I used a Bosch pump on a 2 door Tahoe and it worked great. For my 97 Chevy suburban k1500 I got a Delphi pump/sender assembly I will not use any other brand in a GM vehicle
X2 on the Bosch the Bosch in mine is around 7 years old now and is quiet still. Anything but Airtex. X2 on GM Delphi as well

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, airtex sucks. Put one in a LeBaron turbo, it lasted maybe 6 months. Never again. Installed a Holley/Walbro 190LPH worked great for years.

I went with a Denso pump cartridge and filter sock and rebuilt the sender unit with it. Its pretty quiet, metal body construction. Truck runs great. No random stumble at idle anymore which may have been from older pump slowly failing to maintain adequate pressure. Was $37 at rock auto. I had a bunch of other stuff in my cart coming from the same place so what the heck i went for it. Time will tell if it holds up like a bosch that was about a buck more.

Reaction score
I've had 2 delco brand pumps fail within 3 months of install.both in the past year or two, the older delco units I have installed are still running(to my knowledge) All necessary precautions were taken on installation and tanks were kept at least 1/4 full at all times...I have since switched to denso for all my fuel pumping needs. I compared the newish delco unit that died with the denso one and there was a substantial weight difference (denso heavier,enough to notice while holding in your hand), and seemed to be put together better(electrical and plumbing connections were more robust). I'm thinking delco has farmed out its pump manufacturing to somewhere with much lower standards(i.e. china, India, Cleveland)...just my .02

-never had a problem with Delphi, but I think they have stopped making them/running out of nos units for certain models.have had a problem finding them in stock/at a reasonable price as of late.

Friend of mine just moved to Lubbock. She was just telling me how many "trucks that look just like yours, but without the rust" there are out there.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. They are everywhere out here. I had it rust proofed and undercoated when i bought it. Went thru only one mild winter in 1994, then moved to Texas in 1995. Dry climate no salt on the roads. Junkyards loaded with rust free examples that have 370k plus miles on em. They junk em here because they are plain worn out not clapped or rusted out. This is the place to come if you want to buy one that you can take apart and work on without using wd40, a torch, and a cutoff wheel.

Plastic parts and rubber Parts dry out pretty badly and crack and fall apart though unless you keep it out of the elements and out of the sun most of the time.

Denso makes good stuff. I have a Denso mini 50A alt on a set of custom made mount brackets for the 408 small block i'm building up for my cuda, and a denso mini high torque starter for it as well.

Last edited: