Fuel pump brand question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at a Denso replacement pump cartridge for my 94 1500. Fuel sender works fine, figured i'd replace just the pump motor. Any of you use one of these Denso pump motors ? I used a delco pump cartridge on my wifes old 99 suburban K1500 and it lasted 6 weeks and died. Ended up buying a complete pump and sender assembly 6 weeks later. Kinda concerned about just using another cartridge. First time using a denso pump cartridge. Any thoughts.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How did you determine what to buy for your wifes 99? I have not seen a listing for just the pump motor from Delco for my truck. The only time I've seen just the motor listed it's been a no-name company.

Ive had a new Denso pump module assembly in my truck for maybe 2 months now, and it works great. It cured much of my hard start issue. I did have to wait for it, Though. I bought it through Advance Auto, and it's shipped directly from a Denso warehouse in California. It took 11 days to get it. Denso did not ship it right away. Even when Advance told me it would ship, it was just the label getting printed.

I was going to save my AC Delco module to replace just the pump and have it waiting for next time, but I decided not to... it's all plastic and has been sitting in fuel for 14 years. I ended up braking part of the sender trying to undo the clip holding it together. Your 94 is steel, so it fit's not rusted it may be worth saving.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was originally going to get a bosch drop in assembly and be done with it. The one i thought was a delco i got off evilbay. Came in a delco box w delco instructions. Coulda been a chinese imposter. I just ordered the denso cartridge pump, new pump strainer, filter, and decided to treat her to new plug wires, O2 sensor, and a new ICM. I borrowed the ICM from my brothers spare stash for his monte SS when mine went on the fritz. The O2 sensor i replaced when it went out at 60K. Truck is pushing 160K so its prob about due. $10 wasnt bad for a denso O2 sensor anyways. My current wires are moroso blue max direct fit, and they are dry as a bone. Time for them to go.

Picked up a new grille from GM dealer last week and also got some new parking lights, headlights and reflectors from rock auto as well. Original stuff is just so faded out. I sanded and cleared the headlights once already. They held up another 10 years that way. Put new plugs, brass term cap and rotor in maybe 2k ago, so thats all good.

Gonna be doing last the rear half of my suspension drop when i pull the bed for this.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just ordered the denso cartridge pump, new pump strainer...

It doesn't have a strainer on it already?

...filter, and decided to treat her to new plug wires, O2 sensor, and a new ICM.

I got a filter but didn't actually install it. I decided to wait until I change the fuel lines. I'm not ready to do that yet, and I don't want to risk damaging the old lines.

I replaced my rear O2s years ago, but my fronts are still OEM. I do get codes every so often.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This truck has 1 single wire O2 sensor in LH exh manifold. No additional O2 sensors on this 94 5.7. When you buy just the pump cartridge from rock auto it doesnt come with a pickup filter screen. New ones are only about $2 so its not a big deal. My lines are in good shape. Truck spent all its life in a dry climate where they dont salt the roads in winter. I usually change the in line filter every 30k so the B nuts never have a problem of being corroded to the line.

Looking at your screen name i am assuming yours is a big block truck. Not sure if there was much of a difference between those and a small block sensor wise. Maybe big blocks required the extra sensors ro help keep it to a certain emissions standard. A buddy of mine has a 91 454SS and its a bad ass even for a stone stocker.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love this truck. Probably the reason i had it so long. Timeless styling. Special order bought new in 1994. Had .06 miles on it when i rolled it off the lot. Now its like a part of the family. Fully loaded silverado with all the options but with a 5 speed manual, 3.55s and a locker. Little improvements, changes and mods over the years.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well a co worker brought me to work today. He has a chain hoist i can borrow so theres no need for me to hit "Chinna Fright" to get one. I guess i will start with the rest of the lowering kit while i wait for the new pump to show up hopefully by the weekend.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of GMT400s in my local boneyard out here in west Texas nice rust free stuff. Maybe take a ride down here and pick up some good stuff.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't have a strainer on it already?
The TBI pump assemblies have the strainer ("sock") as a separate piece that shoves onto the bottom of the pump once you mount the pump in the sender bracket. You usually destroy the old one removing it, but even if you don't, it's smart and cheap to replace it anyway. BTW the early Vortec stuff is this way too, before they went to the plastic trash can style assembly. 1996 pickup has a nearly identical design as a TBI truck although obviously the pump is higher pressure.

Looking at your screen name i am assuming yours is a big block truck. Not sure if there was much of a difference between those and a small block sensor wise. Maybe big blocks required the extra sensors ro help keep it to a certain emissions standard. A buddy of mine has a 91 454SS and its a bad ass even for a stone stocker.
The difference between a TBI and Vortec setup. The Vortec has pre- and post- cat sensors for each side; the OBD2 engine management is a bit more complex.

Richard

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well bumper is off and bed is ready to lift. I left rear 2 bolts in place because i think i am just going to tilt it up to gain access. Borrowing a buddys chain hoist tomorrow afternoon. If pump isnt here, i'm diving right in on the suspension kit while i am waiting.