Front End Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys in my 1992 GMC with 4x4 (IFS Front) It will begin wobbling in the steering and wheels around 45-50 after hitting a bump. When I disengage the manual transmission it continues to wobble so Its not the drive train and when I slow down the wobble will cease. Any Ideas?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Could be a number of things. Steering box, front suspension, front drive shaft.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Mine was (mainly) from the Pitman arm.

I just swapped the whole front end and I would do it again, it's never handled this well.

-Truckin'-

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think tomorrow Ill dig into it a little more..

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
dito. first thing id check is wheel balance! if it only shakes around a certain speed then most likely thats what it is.
but depending on the milage on the truck.... but it could be a good idea to replace the front end steering parts and any loose joints you can find.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
dito. first thing id check is wheel balance! if it only shakes around a certain speed then most likely thats what it is.
but depending on the milage on the truck.... but it could be a good idea to replace the front end steering parts and any loose joints you can find.

agreed, my NBS has a crazy wobble, the faster id go the scarier it was, i got the wheels balance, man what a difference!

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im thinkin that replacing the pitman and idler arms should make a world of difference, maybe tie rods if theyre lookin worn

Reaction score
I would give the front end an entire shake down, Tie rod's (inner/outter) Ball joints (upper/lower) Pitman arm, idler arm & Assembly, Wheel bearings. Alignment, ( So check tire wear) Tire pressure, and Tire balance. If its doing it while your hitting a bump and continues, Some thing is worn in the front end.
Luckily These trucks are fairly cheap to get the front end almost new/perfect if you can do the work your self