Death wobble upon heavy braking lifted 2wd 33x12.50s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckeene

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this truck was highly maintained prior too me and it drove good on stock spindles and wheels never noticed braking issues until the lift and bigger tires .
try putting a small set of tires on and see if there is a difference.

Last edited:

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my car (2014 Kia Forte Koup) .90% of my problem was bad tie rod ends. An alignment took care of most of the rest of the problem. I still have a little wobble, which is probably from the rotors even though I replaced those with new ones only a year ago. I read in a forum that if you grab a wheel and get looseness from side to side, it's bad tie rod ends. If the looseness is up and down, it's ball joints. And if it's both directions, it's wheel bearings.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*with vehicle on jack stands.
I had the same problem with my car (2014 Kia Forte Koup) .90% of my problem was bad tie rod ends. An alignment took care of most of the rest of the problem. I still have a little wobble, which is probably from the rotors even though I replaced those with new ones only a year ago. I read in a forum that if you grab a wheel and get looseness from side to side, it's bad tie rod ends. If the looseness is up and down, it's ball joints. And if it's both directions, it's wheel bearings

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of balance/out of round/broken belt's in tire's can act odd under different conditions, the new parts should be ok. You might want to have them road force balanced. I didn't see where you mentioned an alignment was done.

Reaction score
I have the 4” spindles with the Daystar bushing kit, zone add-a-leafs in the back with the RAS coil helpers, and I have no issues at all, I have monotube shocks on all 4 corners and it handles very well… I have 16x8 wheels with 285/75r16 all terrains. I would definitely recommend checking your tie rods and wheel bearings. Who did the alignment after you installed the spindles? I brought mine to a shop that has a laser alignment system to get it perfect, I did it with tape measure and strings at first so I could at least drive it there but the shop got it dialed. I also got a steering stabilizer but contrary to popular belief those won’t fix death wobble, it just smoothed the steering out a bit. Any funny noises when it’s doing the wobble? Can someone film it for you so you can see what the wheels are doing when under braking?

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 33x12.50 20’s on my daily ‘13 and had +2 larger than stock tires on my ‘16 Denali 2500 and my ‘14 LTZ and wider wheels. I can confirm that with the larger wheels/tires when the rotors are just nearing service time having a little warping to them it would shake like a dog pooping a peach seed under hard braking.

All the engineering is designed to live with the rotating mass of the OEM wheels/tires, small changes and stacking tolerances can get weird. Worked with the engineers at Porsche on a first year Cayan turbo SUV for legit death wobble, Turbo model had larger wheels/tires, turns out the lash in the steering rack and pinion required a different setting of preload on turbo models. Like I said, change parts of the math it can get weird if the planets align just right.