NRS Brake Pads Incorrect Application List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoreMaker

Reaction score
I thought for awhile you were using "NBS" pads but misspelled it. (I really despise that abbreviation!) Had to research NRS.

Yup, one way or another, you bought the wrong pads. How were they not dragging on the rotor when you installed the caliper, yet they dragged enough in use to gouge the "hat"?
The part of the pad that was rubbing against the hat was the little stainless steel tabs from the shim that's attached to the backing plate. They glided smoothly and quietly over the hat. It's kinda interesting to see that those tabs are ever so slightly worn out now, right where they were making contact. And there's enough compliance in the sliding pins that the caliper fit right on with no effort. The downward force on the hat was only being applied while braking, when the caliper was trying to straighten out as pressure was applied to the pads.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NRS is a brake-parts brand I've never heard of before.
www.nrsbrakes.com/

I thought for awhile you were using "NBS" pads but misspelled it. (I really despise that abbreviation!) Had to research NRS.

Yup, one way or another, you bought the wrong pads. How were they not dragging on the rotor when you installed the caliper, yet they dragged enough in use to gouge the "hat"?
This post read my mind. I kept thinking NBS was misprinted and never heard of NRS. OP I’m glad you’re ok, family too. But when you started grinding parts, that’s where we part. :Boo:
Look at some Raysbestos Element3 pads.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll break this down to a rudimentary level, as a young-in I was given a red and blue ball. It had different shapes in it. There was no way in hell the square peg was going to fit through the round hole with out hammerering through it destroying both the the part and the ball. It' would never go through the hole without the help of a hammer. That is the age I started to learn those skills. WTF is it really that bad that we need to explain this? At some point the light bulb needs to kick on with "somethings not quite right" If it don't fit, force it, because that always works........never works. If you were successful in improving braking performance in the front, what's being done to address the front to rear brake bias that you have also altered so you don't tail whip the opposite end into a Honda full of 4? If you wanna kill you're own family have at it. just leave the innocent out of it.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part number and part catolog issues have been around since we used paper catologs.
And these days, those issues are a so deeply imbeded in the software that they will never be dealt with.
It is just too vast of a database and those problems will perpetuate forever.
You cant assume that the guy at Oreillys knows anything about cars and you certainly cant assume that some random person on the internet knows anything either.
If you take your vehicle to the dealership and they modify and install the wrong part on your vehicle and it kills your family they can be charged with manslaughter.
If you modify and install the wrong part on your vehicle you are liable.
Read the fine print where they dont gaurantee fitment or useabilty for your aplication.
Repairing a vehicle by yourself is a very serious responsibility.
Not only for your family, but for every other family on the road with you.
If you have an accident involveing a serious injury or a fatality that scene will be investigated by the cops and that vehicle will be impounded.
The next people on scene will be your insurance company and the victoms insurance company.
If you have a "Bad" part that you unknowingly installed on your vehicle you are still screwed but maybe you can survive that.
If you have altered a critical safety part and installed it on your vehicle you are so completely ******.
Even if you do manage to survive all of that it really doesnt matter because that is just the criminal case.
All of that information and what youve done becomes the bassis for the civil suit filed by the victoms family.
You will loose that civil suit.
You will beyond a doubt loose.
And that jury will smash your entire life right into the ******* dirt pal.
That will take about 4 to 6 years.
And you will be bankrupt and have lost everything and be ass deep in attorney debt.
And your only defense will be "it didnt fit so took a grinder to it and made it fit"
If you are running a drag car or a dirt car or whatever at a track everybody who bought a ticket just buy purchasing that ticket aknowledges that they are voluntarily in the proximety of modified vehicles.
That is the liabilty disclaimer on the ticket.
Soccer mom with the van load of kids waiting at the train crossing when you slam into the ass end of her mini van with your custom fit brakes?
She didnt buy a ticket for that.
Driving an unsafe vehicle on the road with everyone else is no different than waving around a loaded gun.
There are only 4 very basic rules you need in order to live your life.
1. Do not ever do anything that can hurt someone else.
2. Do not do anything that involves you getting arrested.
3. do not do anything that involves lawyers
4. read the first 3 rules.
Dont think that this cant possibly happen to someone like you,
This is what happens to people exactly like you.
Years ago my friend did pretty much the same thing youve done and ran over his wife and daughter and son with a one ton Dodge.
His wife barely survived, his kids were both crushed under the duallys of the truck.
He was towing a 50 foot gooseneck at about 30k total weight dowhill across a line of box trailers with no rear brakes and no trailer brakes. Only had front brakes.
His kids ran out in front of the
truck with a big "welcome home dad" sign and some balloons and he ran right over them both and his wife.
He saved about a hundred bucks by doing it himself.
That was almost thirty years ago.
he is still alive but he stopped living.
I dont really know how to describe that.
He lives and breathes and that is all he does.
There is nothing else left.
He is like a mushroom or some type mold.
He exists more becuase his body wants to stay alive than his mind wants to stay alive.
I do get that. I understand that very well.
So I will leave you with the story of the man in Australia who ignored all of the safety rules and went up on a ladder with a running chain saw and cut his wifes head off while the kids were watching.
Safety rules are written in blood
And they are usually written in someone elses blood.
You are responsible for making sure that your truck is safe.
Nobody else but you.
That is the burdon you take on when you do this.
And dont be surprised if you zero ******* sympathy for half assing your dangerious brakes

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part number and part catolog issues have been around since we used paper catologs.
And these days, those issues are a so deeply imbeded in the software that they will never be dealt with.
It is just too vast of a database and those problems will perpetuate forever.
You cant assume that the guy at Oreillys knows anything about cars and you certainly cant assume that some random person on the internet knows anything either.
If you take your vehicle to the dealership and they modify and install the wrong part on your vehicle and it kills your family they can be charged with manslaughter.
If you modify and install the wrong part on your vehicle you are liable.
Read the fine print where they dont gaurantee fitment or useabilty for your aplication.
Repairing a vehicle by yourself is a very serious responsibility.
Not only for your family, but for every other family on the road with you.
If you have an accident involveing a serious injury or a fatality that scene will be investigated by the cops and that vehicle will be impounded.
The next people on scene will be your insurance company and the victoms insurance company.
If you have a "Bad" part that you unknowingly installed on your vehicle you are still screwed but maybe you can survive that.
If you have altered a critical safety part and installed it on your vehicle you are so completely ******.
Even if you do manage to survive all of that it really doesnt matter because that is just the criminal case.
All of that information and what youve done becomes the bassis for the civil suit filed by the victoms family.
You will loose that civil suit.
You will beyond a doubt loose.
And that jury will smash your entire life right into the ******* dirt pal.
That will take about 4 to 6 years.
And you will be bankrupt and have lost everything and be ass deep in attorney debt.
And your only defense will be "it didnt fit so took a grinder to it and made it fit"
If you are running a drag car or a dirt car or whatever at a track everybody who bought a ticket just buy purchasing that ticket aknowledges that they are voluntarily in the proximety of modified vehicles.
That is the liabilty disclaimer on the ticket.
Soccer mom with the van load of kids waiting at the train crossing when you slam into the ass end of her mini van with your custom fit brakes?
She didnt buy a ticket for that.
Driving an unsafe vehicle on the road with everyone else is no different than waving around a loaded gun.
There are only 4 very basic rules you need in order to live your life.
1. Do not ever do anything that can hurt someone else.
2. Do not do anything that involves you getting arrested.
3. do not do anything that involves lawyers
4. read the first 3 rules.
Dont think that this cant possibly happen to someone like you,
This is what happens to people exactly like you.
Years ago my friend did pretty much the same thing youve done and ran over his wife and daughter and son with a one ton Dodge.
His wife barely survived, his kids were both crushed under the duallys of the truck.
He was towing a 50 foot gooseneck at about 30k total weight dowhill across a line of box trailers with no rear brakes and no trailer brakes. Only had front brakes.
His kids ran out in front of the
truck with a big "welcome home dad" sign and some balloons and he ran right over them both and his wife.
He saved about a hundred bucks by doing it himself.
That was almost thirty years ago.
he is still alive but he stopped living.
I dont really know how to describe that.
He lives and breathes and that is all he does.
There is nothing else left.
He is like a mushroom or some type mold.
He exists more becuase his body wants to stay alive than his mind wants to stay alive.
I do get that. I understand that very well.
So I will leave you with the story of the man in Australia who ignored all of the safety rules and went up on a ladder with a running chain saw and cut his wifes head off while the kids were watching.
Safety rules are written in blood
And they are usually written in someone elses blood.
You are responsible for making sure that your truck is safe.
Nobody else but you.
That is the burdon you take on when you do this.
And dont be surprised if you zero ******* sympathy for half assing your dangerious brakes
Well said man, this is why I won't do a brake job out of my driveway for ANYONE without garage owners liability. Because everything is someone else's fault. Like this thread, I got the fancy rotors, I got the bigger pads, but "I didn't do nuffin, It's not my fault" There's nothing indicative that this wasn't some half baked brake upgrade that blew up in someones face who is now looking for a pity party. If you were the mechanic it sure as f*ck is your fault.

Many times I've seen Troopers, teams of investigators, lawyers, and the NTSHA show up at bodyshops I was working at investigating accidents with injuries or deaths.

If you touch Somone's car and an hour later they wreck they're pointing the finger at the last person that touched it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fully understand the above postings. And if my " trust but verify " makes me " overthinking , idiotic " . I'll fully embrace that idea.
I , and the people I train, " you repair this as if the next people on board are your wife and kids " . I put my signature on my repairs. And if it goes Tango Uniform they know where the buck stops. And yes I have been involved and part of Accident inquiries.
I stand on what I said earlier. You can call it the swiss cheese theory or a chain of errors, either way if one hole had not lined up, or one link broken, your outcome would have different.
On better note, it's Taco Tuesday. Bye!