Holes in pads (not GMT400)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the old brake pads from my C8. Never seen this before and all 8 pads are like this. I compared to the new pads and it appears these holes hold some kind of substance. I'm curious what it was and what is it supposed to do. I'm wondering if these were supposed to be used with a shim and this stuff was supposed to bond to that. I dunno.

I posted this on the Corvette forum but the ratio of people that turn wrenches to those that polish and shine is not great, so I thought I would try here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just the backing plate right? It doesn't look like they go through the friction material. A blind guess on my part is harmonic resonance, but I'm definitely no engineer. I'll await the more informed among us to correct me.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a dumbass. They are rivets. The new pads have something to cover those holes. Maybe epoxy or something to prevent water from getting in.

On the new pads, that uh ... "mushroom" looking stumpy thing that is cutout was full of the same stuff. I didn't take pictures.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Been in the repair industry long enough, I have, and you will see riveted shoes and pads. One of the rivets would also hold the "squealer tab" that was a depth gauge to warn against getting into the rivets. I have seen a lot of rotors, where people would bend the squealer tab away from rotor surface and then eventually the pad got thin enough that there was a rivet groove in the rotor surface.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are aftermarket track oriented pads. Think I'm going to buy a different brand next time as I found some spots where you can see the friction material and backing pad were slightly separated.

I did get 3 weekends out of them so they're not junk, but they really didn't perform well that last day and cost me some track time.