Drilling holes in the floorboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanku. Just got my sandblaster cabinet which i will put together, and use to clean up bucket seat hw (just taken out my recently acquired donor truck) prior to getting them upholstered and installed in my actual truck. Ever feel like you need to do like 3 sub projects before you can start working on the ACTUAL project you wanted to work on? I do...
Yup that's the story of my life.....

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm swapping seats in my '89 from a bench to a 40/60 split and I want to hear what y'all think the best way to go about putting holes in the floor is. I was thinking drilling them and using the proper size carrige bolt with a larger washer on the bottom with a nylock nut on the nee holes, and reusing the factory holes where I can.

You guys know more than me on this subject, so how would you go about this mod?
Do not use carriage bolts. Carriage bolts are uncertifiable hardware because they are made from scrap metal.
They have no shear strength and they have unknowable tensile strength.
Do not use stainless bolts.
There are certain applications for stainless bolts but none of them involve cars.
Believe it or not! Stainless bolts are weak and have terrible shear and not much tensile strength.

Use regular old grade 8 bolts with hardended washers and an A36 backing plate that spreads the load under the floor pan and hopefully is tied into some type of structure.
If you want us old guys to stop yelling and if you give a flying **** about us going bald from pulling our hair out you will stop cease and decist from using fence hardware to bolt your seats in.
You will also stop ripping all of your vacuum lines loose and trying to plug them with drywall screws
You shall not unbolt the kickdown linkage and throw it in the bed of the truck and then randomly turn every screw on the carb and then wonder why it wont shift.
Though shall not ever bolt an 850 cfm demon carb onto a bone stock 180,000 mile 8.5 to 1 small block smogger and ***** about it running like poop.
And if you have any normal common sense you would know that those two big bolts you had leftover after installing the roll cage were for the rear seat belts.
And not get all shocked when your ex wife and her friend hit their heads on the roll bar in ******* nowhere Mexico and it sounded like two hollow coconut bongo drums.
Doonk! Dookk!
So they both had concussions and I decided that I needed to get them out of Mexico and at least back to Ajo Arizona where there was a small clinic.
So, down the road I go at about 70 or so.
My exes freind is in the passenger seat because she seems to be seeing more chirping birds than my ex is seeing.
so im hauling ass down the highway but she is doing this little wierd dance in the passenger seat and making this kindoff eek eek eek! noise.
I thought it was brain damage so I drove faster.
Finally this ding asked me if it was normal for hot water to spray on her legs while I was driving.
Concussion, and heater core burns.
I also didnt know that I was smuggling a dog into the US.
That is a whole nother story.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I picked up 4 for the new holes that will be in the center. I got ones the same size and length as the oem bolts, as well as 1 and 1/2" fender washers (that's the biggest I found of the right bolt size, is that good enough?) And nylon locking nuts. Once I make it to my shop in the next town over where my seats are I will get them in and see what you guys think

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not use carriage bolts. Carriage bolts are uncertifiable hardware because they are made from scrap metal.
There are certain applications for stainless bolts but none of them involve cars.
Believe it or not! Stainless bolts are weak and have terrible shear and not much tensile strength.

Use regular old grade 8 bolts with hardended washers and an A36 backing plate that spreads the load under the floor pan and hopefully is tied into some type of structure.
If you want us old guys to stop yelling and if you give a flying **** about us going bald from pulling our hair out you will stop cease and decist from using fence hardware to bolt your seats in.
You will also stop ripping all of your vacuum lines loose and trying to plug them with drywall screws
You shall not unbolt the kickdown linkage and throw it in the bed of the truck and then randomly turn every screw on the carb and then wonder why it wont shift.
Though shall not ever bolt an 850 cfm demon carb onto a bone stock 180,000 mile 8.5 to 1 small block smogger and ***** about it running like poop.
And if you have any normal common sense you would know that those two big bolts you had leftover after installing the roll cage were for the rear seat belts.
And not get all shocked when your ex wife and her friend hit their heads on the roll bar in ******* nowhere Mexico and it sounded like two hollow coconut bongo drums.
Doonk! Dookk!
So they both had concussions and I decided that I needed to get them out of Mexico and at least back to Ajo Arizona where there was a small clinic.
My exes freind is in the passenger seat because she seems to be seeing more chirping birds than my ex is seeing.
so im hauling ass down the highway but she is doing this little wierd dance in the passenger seat and making this kindoff eek eek eek! noise.
Finally this ding asked me if it was normal for hot water to spray on her legs while I was driving.
Coconut noises!! Rofl!!!

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Doonk! Dookk!
I got 8.8 grade nickel plated regular bolts. I could make larger backing plates to disperse the load a bit better if that would be better. I don't know if there is any structure to tie into, but the factory bolts just have reinforcement on the floor pan. I could likely mimic that reinforcement with some steel.

And no. By all means I don't want to soup up this truck. It's gonna stay stock until I can afford to do it up right. The old V6 is good enough for me, and I love the noise little 5 spd. The only major modification I want to do at this point in time is the seats.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I picked up 4 for the new holes that will be in the center. I got ones the same size and length as the oem bolts, as well as 1 and 1/2" fender washers (that's the biggest I found of the right bolt size, is that good enough?) And nylon locking nuts. Once I make it to my shop in the next town over where my seats are I will get them in and see what you guys think
Forgot to mention.
Do not use nylocks on a a seat or a seat belt.
A nylock has less threads per length and it is a plus .002 or .003 oversize to allow for the plastic to deform into the thread.
Nylocks have thier place in industry just like stainless fasteners have their place in industry but you cant change those fasteners without understanding that bolt salesman are as grim and worthless as car salesman.
And every turd who is marketing some huge upgrade bolt on massive horsepower gain to you is just a coorporate ************ turd.
To me, the idea of trying to hot rod a gmt400 is just wrecking the reliable truck that you need to tow your hot rod.
The only thing worse than having your big money drag car blow on the strip is having your half assed tow vehicle blow up on the way home.
Then you get to wait on the side of the road for two tow trucks.
I think that trying to push a gmt400 platform especially a k series is pretty much missing the point of what these trucks are capable of and missing the point of the reliabilty of the whole series.
Make your truck a rock solid starts every time plain jane no bullshit tow vehicle.
They are not fast and the brakes are not the best but they are the last of the full frame trucks that are not a ford or a dodge.
Trust my old ass on this my friends.
My high school car was a 1969 Roadrunner 383 bucket console factory tach car.
I sold it for 250 bucks and bought a brand new ******* Audi.
Which was slow really expensive german garbage

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to mention.
Do not use nylocks on a a seat or a seat belt.
A nylock has less threads per length and it is a plus .002 or .003 oversize to allow for the plastic to deform into the thread.
Nylocks have thier place in industry just like stainless fasteners have their place in industry but you cant change those fasteners without understanding that bolt salesman are as grim and worthless as car salesman.
And every turd who is marketing some huge upgrade bolt on massive horsepower gain to you is just a coorporate ************ turd.
To me, the idea of trying to hot rod a gmt400 is just wrecking the reliable truck that you need to tow your hot rod.
The only thing worse than having your big money drag car blow on the strip is having your half assed tow vehicle blow up on the way home.
Then you get to wait on the side of the road for two tow trucks.
I think that trying to push a gmt400 platform especially a k series is pretty much missing the point of what these trucks are capable of and missing the point of the reliabilty of the whole series.
Make your truck a rock solid starts every time plain jane no bullshit tow vehicle.
They are not fast and the brakes are not the best but they are the last of the full frame trucks that are not a ford or a dodge.
Trust my old ass on this my friends.
My high school car was a 1969 Roadrunner 383 bucket console factory tach car.
I sold it for 250 bucks and bought a brand new ******* Audi.
Which was slow really expensive german garbage
My reasoning for nylocks was to keep the vibration from backing them off, however whay you mentioned makes sense.

I completely agree with your veiw on hotroding these trucks. It is a waste of a good truck. My truck is slow, but she's been really reliable since I put some work into her. She isn't purdy, but I don't need her to be. Comfort and reliability are at the top of my list. My dad and I have put a couple hundred trouble free miles on it at this point and she runs like a champ.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m sure they were impressed
My exes forehead and her face swelled up and it made her head really tall.
It was kindoff freaky because now Im wondering if her head is gonna go back to normal and im trying not to get freaked out over her massive swollen head.
And Im mind ****** because I dont know if I can deal with her puffer fish head but I caused her big puffer fish head.
One of our last big blow up fights
( no pun intended)
Was me dosing her with benadryl and wrapping her head in ice packs.
because she refused to go see a doctor.
I get it. I am stubborn as hell.
But if my ******* head is so ****** swollen up that it looks like my eyeballs are gonna ******* blow out Ill go to the doctor for ***** sake.
What you need to underatand is that a woman will neglect her health and pretend that nothing is wrong and she will keep it to herself and ignore it untill it is too late.
And as you age and start reliving your past glories and trying to pretend that you are still some kind of a stud you need to remember that she was once a young beutiful woman who had the whole world too.
And she chose you.
The only thing that matters is that she will have another life when i die.
And the only thing that matters is if I can find a way to live without her.
That is it kids.
That is all their is to it.