Death wobble upon heavy braking lifted 2wd 33x12.50s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a very original clean 2wd c1500 literally a 8-10k truck . I haven’t had it long I just did a 4 inch spindle lift all my ball joints and tie rods etc are all new.
The calipers look and seemed to be in good shape / the brake pads were looking ok 75% life / I had a little issue with the slide pins sticking I greased them . Issue I’m having is light braking is ok heavy braking get a partial death wobble . I feel like it could be rotors maybe bad and slide pins acting up . There are no loose components everything from the root bearings ball joints spindle nuts caliper boos everything is new or good and tight .
17” wheels granted I have 33x12.50s tires regardless of the size should be firm clean stop even on heavy braking . Any ideas or best guesswork? I always was told look at rotor issues when ever a wobble occurrs on braking

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothin' about "death wobbles".

If it shudders, or the pedal vibrates suspect the "iron" first. Rotors in front, drums in back. Usually rotors. It "can" be something other than rotors/drums, but that's pretty rare.
If it pulls, suspect EVERYTHING including the control arm bushings.

Is the rag joint in decent condition? Failing rag joints are epidemic.

This isn't the ABS activating...is it?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a vibration? Or is it violent? What does the steering wheel do?

(Most cases) If you can feel the shake in the steering wheels, the problem is in the front. If you feel it in the seat or floor, it’s in the rear.

I’d suspect warped rotors and maybe drums. The 2wd trucks usually came equipped with the smallest brake package. The 33x12.50 on 17’s I guarantee are much heavier than stock. That extra mass requires more brake energy, to slow that extra inertia which causes more heat, which can cause warping.

You can verify warping by checking the runout with a dial indicator on a mag base.

The other thing would be worn suspension, but “death wobbles” that are suspension related, don’t usually occur under braking.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
True death wobble is more common on Jeeps and off-road trucks with solid front axles. You hit a pot hole at lower speeds and the front end shakes violently. As others have said, I’d start by checking rotors and tightening front-end suspension assemblies.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know nothin' about "death wobbles".

If it shudders, or the pedal vibrates suspect the "iron" first. Rotors in front, drums in back. Usually rotors. It "can" be something other than rotors/drums, but that's pretty rare.
If it pulls, suspect EVERYTHING including the control arm bushings.

Is the rag joint in decent condition? Failing rag joints are epidemic.

This isn't the ABS activating...is it?
I might Not be exactly a death wobble probably exaggerating on that some but It’s not normal … it doesn’t pull at all it seems just like a warped rotor feeling but X 50 on hard braking …just like what you would normally feel on a 25 yr old truck with old rotors old rotors etc .. the only difference is it’s a bit more intense I feel like maybe it’s due too the larger mud terrain 33” tires maybe ? Still if you lifted a brand new 2023 Silverado with 33s Thats equipped with a new modern braking system it’s not gonna shake.. so there’s no excuse for a 88-98 to do the same even if we went back too 1998 and lifted it the day it rolled off the line.
The structural integrity of all the suspension parts is good from my perspective and inspection on the ball joints were solid / I repacked the wheel bearings / did the slide pins with grease .. the issue with those the actual caliper bolts were partially seized inside the slide pins! I wasn’t sure if there locked in them pins or not they at first were not sliding easily .. I do feel like they need replacing.
I did brand new lift spindles the tie rods are new nothing loose on the gear box seemingly / this truck was highly maintained prior too me and it drove good on stock spindles and wheels never noticed braking issues until the lift and bigger tires . I clarify on this only braking issue Nothing is wrong with how it drives no pull no wobble no anything as far a suspension goes .. all I did was the spindle lift new.
It don’t pull under normal speeds or any speed drives straight it just has a shimmy upon heavy breaking that really shimmy’s the steering wheel if I brake normal or slow braking it’s ok .
Side note i noticed all this under towing conditions towing empty
tractor supply trailer maybe a 6ft x12ft no real feeling of weight behind me .
Maybe I need update the braking system. The backs are def old and likely not helping but the shake is not gonna cut it.
My point mostly was too find out if rotors do this in any regard if the trucks not pulling could it still be rotors or calipers

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before lift= truck is fine.
After lift=truck having issues…hmmmm

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, rotors (sometimes drums) can shimmy/shake/pulse the pedal without really "pulling" to one side.

How bigass tires interact with this I don't really know. I know they reduce braking ability for the same reason they kill acceleration, and the ass-end of those 1500 trucks are usually brake-limited with those stupid 254mm leading/trailing drums to begin with.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a situation (C2500) where the steering wheel would oscillate quite forcefully as I came to a halt - but only as I came to a halt - braking from speed was fine. Eradicating the play in the wheel bearings cured it.
You have re-packed the bearings. Maybe worth checking they don't need a tweak to tighten them. Not uncommon after repacking them.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a situation (C2500) where the steering wheel would oscillate quite forcefully as I came to a halt - but only as I came to a halt - braking from speed was fine. Eradicating the play in the wheel bearings cured it.
You have re-packed the bearings. Maybe worth checking they don't need a tweak to tighten them. Not uncommon after repacking them.
I’m gong to upgrade the entire brake system way Better rotors/ pads definitely new slide pins and At that point I’ll do new races and bearings . Really Not much more else could cause it from the age of the components and known upkeep of the truck …Unless my control arm bushings are weak but I feel like it’s got to be in the area of rotors calipers or pins just one of the three is off.
I will recheck on all the bearing play before hand .
I might even drop it back to stock or lower it like a 2wd is better off being … and sell my wheels and tires
I’ll update soon……