Front end rebuild: steering still off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So recently I have replaced my rag joint, all tierods, pitman arm, idler arm, and got an alignment. Despite this, I still must hold my steering slightly to the left to go straight. I brought my truck back to the alignment shop and made them check the tire pressure first and everything else, it was all spot on. I also notice more play to the left of my steering than the right. Could this be the signs of a worn steering gear? Could something else be at play here? Any help is appreciated.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently replaced my rag joint, and my steering wheel is no longer straight.
Mine wasn't straight with all my old worn out steering components either. It's very strange, turning to the right has no play at all, I can move it half an inch and the truck will turn, but must turn a few inches to the Left when I am going left.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be some worn gears
If I grab the intermediate shaft in the engine bay, I can turn it to the driver side far more than the passenger side. I'm assuming that is indicative of a failing steering gear. Anybody have any recomandations on a new box or or to rebuild the current one? My truck has 182k miles btw.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Redhead Steering Gear is supposed to be the best, or at least most well know. There are a few others out there, Though. I replaced my box with a rebuilt ACdelco and I think it's on it's way out too.... My original is sitting on a shelf, and will eventually be sent to Redhead.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second the redhead. Yes its bit more and some ppl dnt like em but I hear way more good abt them then any other brand and I'll be ordering one through them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Reman boxes are garbage, mine is just as sloppy as the original it replaced and it too now leaks. Try rotating your tires, uneven pre alignment wear can cause a pull.

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to adjust the slack out of the steering box, do it slowly!!!
You will need a 5/8” box wrench and a 3/16” hex key ( longer is better).
Just loosen the nut holding the hex key still.
I usually turn the allen drive only 1/16th of a turn clockwise then start the truck and slowly turn full left and right. If still sloppy then turn another 1/16th of a turn. Alway check full left and right turn before anymore adjustments with the engine running.
SAFETY, turn off motor when adjusting.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I intend to adjist the box at both points with the replacement, a clean 140k donor.