Front end rebuild: steering still off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The error is probably where the rag joint bolts to the steering column. Did you buy rhe Lares unit? On mine there is enough room to rotate the shaft a little in those bolts that hold the shaft to the rag joint.
As for the deadspot in the steering, that's a worn steering gear for sure but it does not mean the gear itself is on it's way out. They replace the bare minimum when rebuilding those things.
Consider the Redhead unit if you are going to replace the box. I bought a Delco that worked perfectly for a week before it siezed up and blew. Then I bought an Oreilly that is loose as hell with a huge deadspot.
If you are going to adjust yours, my understanding is you have to adjust both points together, not just the easy one on top. But that part is outside my experience.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The error is probably where the rag joint bolts to the steering column. Did you buy rhe Lares unit? On mine there is enough room to rotate the shaft a little in those bolts that hold the shaft to the rag joint.
As for the deadspot in the steering, that's a worn steering gear for sure but it does not mean the gear itself is on it's way out. They replace the bare minimum when rebuilding those things.
Consider the Redhead unit if you are going to replace the box. I bought a Delco that worked perfectly for a week before it siezed up and blew. Then I bought an Oreilly that is loose as hell with a huge deadspot.
If you are going to adjust yours, my understanding is you have to adjust both points together, not just the easy one on top. But that part is outside my experience.
I've never seen the lares unit before now. I actually purchased two doorman kits and used the sholders bolts to secure it. It seemed very tight. I rrallr do believe it is more of an issue woth the steering gear as when I had it out of my truck to replave the pitman arm, the inpit shaft had uneven play left and right if I turned it by hand.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember seeing a thread a while ago where someone dropped the gear out of their truck and adjusted two different things on it. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found it. I will try this in my free time and post the results.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach