Front End Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I re-did everything in the front end. and it still seems loose. Got an alignment and the steering wheel is still off. Fix?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Take it back to the alignment shop and tell them they forgot to center your wheel first. On your steering box there is a nut with a hex screw in it. Loosen the nut and tighten the hex screw a half a turn and tighten it back up.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Loose could be from several things, from a rag joint that's on it's last legs to a box that's got excessive slop.

As mentioned the wheel was not centered prior to adjusting the tie rods. Tightening up the steering box adjustment has never worked for me on any vehicle I have tried it on, it usually resulted in stiff spots because the box was junk. Your mileage may vary.... but it may be best to swap it out for another unit.

Unless you had a fancy Snap-on puller, you would have had to pull the box to change the pitman arm. ( 4x4 )

It's pretty impossible to diagnose something over the internet, just going by what you say.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I pulled the box to get pitman arm out. changing the front end was hell due to things being stuck. so I really don't wanna change out the box cause I don't want to deal with the whole pitman arm problem again.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have changed out everything under my 2wd twice and other parts three times now.... When it was stock it felt fine but after the lift it just plain sucks........... so I have given up

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im about to, too. I just have a power steering leak right now that needs to be fixed.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm doing ball joints right now at 200k. I may try to tighten up the steering box too while I'm in there. Hope everything else is in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I have 323k miles and did the box screw trick about 10k ago. It did make a difference for my application I had very bad slop now I would say I have normal slop. When I tightened up my box I did 1/2 turn at a time for a total of just over 1 full turn. I hear if you over do it you will hurt the steering box.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There really isn't a slop, its just loose, to easy to turn. I like a tight steering, where its nice and stiff. that's where im lost at cause its so soft/loose.