front diff on 96

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 96 came with 3:42 and a 10 bolt

im wanting to put a 14 bolt in the rear, no problem

14 bolts are commonly 3.73 which is okay but id rather have a 8 lug 4.10

thinking, alright ill buy new 8 lug wheels.. maybe

but my question is

does an eight bolt front differential bolt right in to replace my 1/2 ton front?

did gm make a 6 bolt axle geared lower than 3.73 between 92-00?

another question has anyone ever tried any of the digital tuners like hypertech or flashpaq or tirepaq.. 35x12.5x15 on 3:42 gears just makes my 4l60e cry

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, the 8 lug front ends have different control arms which are built only for 3/4 ton frames.

you can find 4.10 6 bolt rear ends. they are rare though.

stay away from the digital tuners and have your truck custom tuned.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
black bear or wheatley or some other company that 'tunes' your ecm with a computer.

edit: sorry man, just remembered you got an 88. A chip is about all you can do than. Have a custom chip burned for what you want. ie: horsepower or efficiency

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my k1500 is a 96 ive got an 88 model trx

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
yeah noway to convert your front to 8 lug without serious pooh to deal with. get yourself a nice 14 bolt with 4.10s or put some in and then just regear your front diff. also if you are wanting to go with 35s the 4.56s may be a better choice. the custom tune is always better but my buddy just hypertech'd his 96 and it actually pepped it up a decent bit. that being said a handheld wont touch a pro tuner. go black bear and tell them exactly what you want.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey can you ask your buddy if hypertech means what they say when they say adjust shift points..

if i could just get it to hold until a higher speed...

also if i get 456 arent i going to have to retune this 4lshittyE anyways?