Front dif?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this is in the wrong place, hopefully someone can fix it.
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread from "Transfer Cases" to "Axles + Brakes".

I have a 98 k1500 Silverado. I grenaded the rear 10 bolt differential.
Folks don't believe me when I say the "10-bolt" is a fragile piece of crap when installed in a full-size truck.

My uncle has a 94 z71 that he is parting out so I took his rear differential. It is a 14 bolt, it bolted right in I just had to have a u joint sized.
Common upgrade which probably also got rid of your crappy 254mm leading/trailing shoe rear drum brakes.

Good job!

(I know the gearing is different)... ...will that differential be a direct swap?
The gear ratios are different
Which gear ratio is the truck set up for, and what gear ratio is it going to receive?

You'll be playing games with the computer, in part to get the speedo to read right.

Cherryred98

Reaction score
So I got the front differential from the 94 z71 I was talking about ( I got the rear dif from the same truck) I was driving home from getting it ( I was in 2 hi thinking it would be ok even though the gearing is different) I was doing about 25 maybe 30 and the truck acted as if it downshifted, so I pulled over and started going from a dead stop and when it shifted into 2nd it did the same thing, and didn’t want to go (almost as if the trans is slipping, kinda reminded me of when I popped the 10 bolt) so I dropped it into first and shifted it manually and it seemed fine for the next couple blocks till I got home, so I don’t know if it’s something with the computer, trans going out or something with the tansfer case/ computer because of the different gearing? Even though I was in 2hi. I know the front differential doesn’t totally disconnect like older truck where you have to get out to lock the hubs, so maybe it was binding? I don’t really know. I’m gonna swap the front dif tomorrow if it isn’t raining. On a different note, like I said the donor truck is a 94 z71 1500. I believe the trans is a 700r4 because it has a torque converter cover on the bottom of the bell housing like a th350 or something. But I didn’t really look to make sure it’s not a 4l60e, if it winds up that my transmission is going out. What goes into swapping to a 700r4 if that’s even what it is. Figuring out tv cable and what else? I hope that wasn’t too confusing for yall

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could a goofy speed sensor act up this way? Or would it flake out the speedo as well?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda thinking the '94 also has a 4L60E. Not certain. Even if they're both 4L60Es, there's going to be certain differences in the wiring. Someone else will have to guide you with the swap.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '92s have the 4L60, and the '93s have the 4L60e. Not sure where in there they switched, and there are probably some '93s with 4L60s running around.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got the front differential from the 94 z71 I was talking about ( I got the rear dif from the same truck) I was driving home from getting it ( I was in 2 hi thinking it would be ok even though the gearing is different) I was doing about 25 maybe 30 and the truck acted as if it downshifted, so I pulled over and started going from a dead stop and when it shifted into 2nd it did the same thing, and didn’t want to go (almost as if the trans is slipping, kinda reminded me of when I popped the 10 bolt) so I dropped it into first and shifted it manually and it seemed fine for the next couple blocks till I got home, so I don’t know if it’s something with the computer, trans going out or something with the tansfer case/ computer because of the different gearing? Even though I was in 2hi. I know the front differential doesn’t totally disconnect like older truck where you have to get out to lock the hubs, so maybe it was binding? I don’t really know. I’m gonna swap the front dif tomorrow if it isn’t raining. On a different note, like I said the donor truck is a 94 z71 1500. I believe the trans is a 700r4 because it has a torque converter cover on the bottom of the bell housing like a th350 or something. But I didn’t really look to make sure it’s not a 4l60e, if it winds up that my transmission is going out. What goes into swapping to a 700r4 if that’s even what it is. Figuring out tv cable and what else? I hope that wasn’t too confusing for yall
Could also possible be a throttle position sensor, mine wouldn't want to go into a 2nd or 3rd gear randomly, although I never had a random downshift, replacing that sensor fixed it for me.