Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Turns out my buddy and I are color blind. I spent 3 hours crawling around in the dirt pulling all the parts off the Tahoe only to find it’s a slightly lighter color gold. Not sure how we missed that but oh well, the parts are straight and it’s close enough for now. Also got the new/recycled tires put on the Ram wheels but I’m waiting on 2” spacers coming Thursday, so I have everything set out ready for a good washing sometime this week after work.

Tell you what I think I made damn good progress pulling all that stuff off that Tahoe in 3 hours by myself (praise the Milwaukee cordless tools god) I’m tired, but I didn’t break any clips, or brackets, and I put most of the hardware back where it belongs as I went to keep organized.
I'd say the Tahoe is Pewter Metallic, and your truck is gold(Rawhide Metallic or Light Autumnwood Metallic, for the '97 anyway). I've seen a crew cab in the area before, that's Pewter Metallic but it had two Gold doors on the driver's side (and no straight panels besides those doors). I can easily tell the difference between the two colors, since I have one truck in each.

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_122843418_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20221106_122843418_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 11

Dantheman1540

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the Tahoe is Pewter Metallic, and your truck is gold(Rawhide Metallic or Light Autumnwood Metallic, for the '97 anyway). I've seen a crew cab in the area before, that's Pewter Metallic but it had two Gold doors on the driver's side (and no straight panels besides those doors). I can easily tell the difference between the two colors, since I have one truck in each.

I genuinely did not realize there were so many browngolds in the time period. I’m not overly upset about it, I’ll get it running and driving and pretend it’s all the same color for awhile, or forever.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I genuinely did not realize there were so many browngolds in the time period. I’m not overly upset about it, I’ll get it running and driving and pretend it’s all the same color for awhile, or forever.
I think one reason this color range is popular, is it doesn't show dirt like a black or white vehicle will. Something to be considered when lots of trucks were still being purchased for rural use. I had a VIN number report done on the Burb, and in the 1999 model year (longer than normal because of the changeover of designs/platforms) 1 in 3 Suburbans built were painted that color! I've been at intersections and in parking lots, where there were several other 400/800 series trucks in that color, besides the one I was in. Some of this happened when they were newer, but I still see Pewter trucks around frequently.

Dantheman1540

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a few things I’ll need to be shopping for soon are below. If I’m gonna buy them I’d like to “buy once, cry once” and get the best bang for my buck parts. Anyone have suggestions on the items below?

-clutch fan
-radiator (prefer all AL no plastic”
-trans cooler

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
So a few things I’ll need to be shopping for soon are below. If I’m gonna buy them I’d like to “buy once, cry once” and get the best bang for my buck parts. Anyone have suggestions on the items below?

-clutch fan
-radiator (prefer all AL no plastic”
-trans cooler
Fan clutch, definitely get the HD model with all the fins. I have these on both my trucks, Dad always had them on our vehicles. They don't run hot even in Gulf Coast heat and humidity.

Dantheman1540

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fan clutch, definitely get the HD model with all the fins. I have these on both my trucks, Dad always had them on our vehicles. They don't run hot even in Gulf Coast heat and humidity.
How do I know it’s a HD model? The Tahoe I worked on today had like a 9 blade fan, the one in the truck looks to be a 5blade maybe.

Dantheman1540

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll look for an all aluminum radiator for a 454 then. That should be bigger and not have weak end tanks. Then I’ll get the 454 fan clutch, and all I need is a trans cooler that fits with those.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I’ll look for an all aluminum radiator for a 454 then. That should be bigger and not have weak end tanks. Then I’ll get the 454 fan clutch, and all I need is a trans cooler that fits with those.
HD fan clutch was used on the 5.7/350 too, that's what mine are on.