Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’ve done hydroboost swaps on some gmt800 stuff and it’s better pedal feel upgrade than big brake kits IMO so that will def be an early upgrade.

4L80 first gear is gonna have me wishing it had 4.88s, but I’m thrilled at the combo on paper so far.
It's funny; my Burb is a 5.7 Vortec with 3.42 and a 4L60E, and Rawhide the crew cab is a 5.7 Vortec with 4.10 and a 4L80E. They're about the same off the line, but the Burb has a more sensitive throttle. Big truck will get up and go right smart too, just needs a lil more push. Of course the power has to go a little further, to get to the rear wheels too....

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I went and looked at the 99 parts Tahoe and it’s better than expected! I’m getting all the front end bits, passenger door, color matched bumpers, aluminum grill guard, and leather seats for $500. I just gotta pull it myself yay

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
mystery solved it’s a 9.5sf which I’m happy about
thats is great glad to hear it but for me personally though I would want the full float axle it is stronger and the best part at least imho no c clips I know I am leaving out other great features but they escape my mind at the time

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to learn that the 'C6P' 8600 GWVR doesn't automatically mean
full-floating. I wonder what is the deciding factor between the SF vs FF?
I need to check my 8600 GVWR K2500 but I think it is a FF. My 8600 GVWR C2500 has the SF.

I seem to recall reading that the K trucks were more likely to come with it. Can’t find that thread. It could be bogus.

Edit: @Road Trip i just remembered that your truck is a C2500 with the FF, but with the 454. Certainly the powertrain combination is a factor? But OP has got basically the K version of my C2500 and doesn’t have FF. I bet my ‘94 is not a FF. I really need to get over and take off a center cap. I wonder what exact specs GM used to determine the axle the truck would be equipped with.

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you just have the wheel off, or did the truck only have 4 lugnuts under the cap you removed?

You can find OEM take-off lug-nuts on ebay cheap, if you need them. I've done that twice now.

I had the wheel of the day before test fitting new wheels and just didn’t put them all back on because 8 lugs is a lot of work .

thats is great glad to hear it but for me personally though I would want the full float axle it is stronger and the best part at least imho no c clips I know I am leaving out other great features but they escape my mind at the time

I totally get that, but I do t know many people that have killed the 9.5s and I’ve clutch dumped 500hp at the one in my Tahoe hundreds of times without any issue whatsoever and it even has a G80 still. So for me I don’t think I need the extra weight hauled around.

Good to learn that the 'C6P' 8600 GWVR doesn't automatically mean
full-floating. I wonder what is the deciding factor between the SF vs FF?

I believe it’s the power plant that decides it from what I’ve seen. 350s are smol so they get smol rear end.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out my buddy and I are color blind. I spent 3 hours crawling around in the dirt pulling all the parts off the Tahoe only to find it’s a slightly lighter color gold. Not sure how we missed that but oh well, the parts are straight and it’s close enough for now. Also got the new/recycled tires put on the Ram wheels but I’m waiting on 2” spacers coming Thursday, so I have everything set out ready for a good washing sometime this week after work.

Tell you what I think I made damn good progress pulling all that stuff off that Tahoe in 3 hours by myself (praise the Milwaukee cordless tools god) I’m tired, but I didn’t break any clips, or brackets, and I put most of the hardware back where it belongs as I went to keep organized.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg