Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome Dan. I PM’d you your build sheet. :deal:
Thank you sir!

The 'C6P' RPO code means that your truck was originally built as a 8600 GVWR. (Heavy 3/4 ton)
My truck also has the C6P code, and it came from the factory with the 10.5" full floater. (See attached.)
If you were to take off your 8-lug center cap and take/post a photo we'll know for sure what you got.

Nice truck BTW. Everyone here in the rust belt would take that vehicle on as a keeper without hesitation. :0)

And Welcome to the GMT400 forum!
I will be putting the new wheels and tires on tomorrow and I will take a pic because I cannot for the life of me remember now that it’s in question lol. Awesome ones that it’s rated for 8,600 tho! Means I can tow my heavy Tahoe on my heavy trailer and be just at the ragged edge of manufacture spec and not way over it lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

I will be putting the new wheels and tires on tomorrow and I will take a pic because I cannot for the life of me remember now that it’s in question lol. Awesome ones that it’s rated for 8,600 tho! Means I can tow my heavy Tahoe on my heavy trailer and be just at the ragged edge of manufacture spec and not way over it lol.
If you do have the 10.5 FF axle, that's definitely a plus for towing. We've towed a medium size trailer from Uhaul three times with my one ton crew cab, and except for the weight pushing you on stops, you barely know it's there. Their 5x8 single axle trailer is just under a half ton empty, and is rated by them to carry a little bit over a ton. I'm sure they under rate it because they know people tend to overload them....

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

It will be interesting to see what you discover -- a lot can done to a truck over the past 28 years.
And sometimes the PO(s) do things that don't make sense with 20/20 hindsight.

Fingers crossed you still have the HD full floater in there. They are a robust design that
stands the test of time. :0)

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do have the 10.5 FF axle, that's definitely a plus for towing. We've towed a medium size trailer from Uhaul three times with my one ton crew cab, and except for the weight pushing you on stops, you barely know it's there. Their 5x8 single axle trailer is just under a half ton empty, and is rated by them to carry a little bit over a ton. I'm sure they under rate it because they know people tend to overload them....

My next trailer will have brakes on both axles, so braking won’t be a big deal, especially after hydroboost swapping this.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what you discover -- a lot can done to a truck over the past 28 years.
And sometimes the PO(s) do things that don't make sense with 20/20 hindsight.

Fingers crossed you still have the HD full floater in there. They are a robust design that
stands the test of time. :0)

Well I know that he’s been in bad enough health the last 15-20 years that he definitely was not axle swapping anything. I really doubt I’m gonna find much other than potentially neglected maintenance items, like the wet rear diff I can see and the sagging exhaust.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My next trailer will have brakes on both axles, so braking won’t be a big deal, especially after hydroboost swapping this.
Hydro boost is definitely an upgrade. It's usually a good thing, to have brakes that are "a little bit better than absolutely necessary". My crew cab has made some quick stops, partially due to Mom's skills driving it (and learning how it likes to be stopped; don't jam on them, easy does it) but also due to the huge brakes to start with.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hydro boost is definitely an upgrade. It's usually a good thing, to have brakes that are "a little bit better than absolutely necessary". My crew cab has made some quick stops, partially due to Mom's skills driving it (and learning how it likes to be stopped; don't jam on them, easy does it) but also due to the huge brakes to start with.
I’ve done hydroboost swaps on some gmt800 stuff and it’s better pedal feel upgrade than big brake kits IMO so that will def be an early upgrade.
He’s got GT5 4.10 and 4L80e, definitely a tow rig.
4L80 first gear is gonna have me wishing it had 4.88s, but I’m thrilled at the combo on paper so far.