Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gojo83

Reaction score
Depends man...if you were like me and had 2 cylinders that were barely firing at all...yes, you definitely would.

However, I don't think anybody in the history of the world has ever gone on a dyno when needing a tuneup bad, so it's a moot point IMO.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what the cap looked like when I got it off so as you can see the contact points were all corroded and that is a reason I say 50 hp... it doesn't struggle up the hills anymore and that is saying something considering I live at 6100 ft elevation and have to crest some passes at 8550+.
maybe it wasn't 50 but it was definitely happier all through the power band now. the cap and the plug being " plugs" according to my mechanic buddy. the only bizarre thing is that now at idle it has a slight misfire on only cyl 8 the rest show no misfire counts but 8 will show up to like 8 misfire counts on cylinder 8 so I am confused there too

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
MEGA-BUMP!
Anyone have any more to add onto the poor-mans powerhouse? I've got my 454 swapped in, so until I get a Yukon, I won't be able to add anything for the 350. Whatcha got?

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MEGA-BUMP!
Anyone have any more to add onto the poor-mans powerhouse? I've got my 454 swapped in, so until I get a Yukon, I won't be able to add anything for the 350. Whatcha got?
Do you still have the 454 throttle body you had for the small block? I might be willing to buy it, in person.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Do you still have the 454 throttle body you had for the small block? I might be willing to buy it, in person.

I think so. It's disassembled and the throttle stop was cut off (I can show you how to fix that), but I should still have it. I just used the TB that came with the BB I dropped in

98gm1500

Reaction score
neat thread!! couple of these things are going on the to do list for sure!!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great thread, I think we can all agree more power for less money is always a positive thing. I'm curious, does anyone have a snorkel? I was thinking about adding one & also doing a CAI. This would supply fresh air from outside the fender & should also increase flow.

I have several things planned for mine. the CAI was one, porting the stock TB & getting the bump off the back side of the blade was another. I'm also plotting on a cheap set of TBI headers so I can ditch the stock manifolds. Better it sucks air in & gets it out the more efficient the engine will run which should also improve performance. Later down the road I'm wanting to swap in a RV cam & BB tune. That might be as far as I go with the truck.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the four core radiator drop right in?
Living in Vegas I could use more cooling.
What mods had to be done to fit it?