Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Junkyard. That's where i got mine. It's out of a 2002 avalanche

Was it a direct bolt on and im wondering if it would bolt on to my 93 1/2 ton ext/cab 5.7 GMC truck and again I ask what brackets does one use?

Another thing guys if it is a direct bolt on since we now know what year to use one could order a new one.

VoeTecXas have you tried under drive pulleys? To me they helped my truck.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Was it a direct bolt on and im wondering if it would bolt on to my 93 1/2 ton ext/cab 5.7 GMC truck and again I ask what brackets does one use?

Another thing guys if it is a direct bolt on since we now know what year to use one could order a new one.

VoeTecXas have you tried under drive pulleys? To me they helped my truck.

AutoZone part #B624. Direct bolt in 4 core. Uses stock upper brackets. If they insist on looking it up just have them look it up for a 96 C1500, it will be the heavy duty cooling option

I havent tried the pulleys. Where did you get them, how much were they

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok i did the throttle body blade trimm...the resonator swap(pb blaster cap..kinda kool looking) throttle body complete clean..and fuel filter change..seems to run better and a little different...it was raining here about an hour ago so roads were still damp..going about 45mph and i punched in and fish tailed until i let out on the throttle...keep in mind i have stock 265-75-16 with great tread..so def inproved power with combined components...atleast the maintainence helped i know...oh i forgot i cleaned the mass air flow sensor and screen...next step is going to be custom cold air intake and changing the muffler...

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Ok i did the throttle body blade trimm...the resonator swap(pb blaster cap..kinda kool looking) throttle body complete clean..and fuel filter change..seems to run better and a little different...it was raining here about an hour ago so roads were still damp..going about 45mph and i punched in and fish tailed until i let out on the throttle...keep in mind i have stock 265-75-16 with great tread..so def inproved power with combined components...atleast the maintainence helped i know...oh i forgot i cleaned the mass air flow sensor and screen...next step is going to be custom cold air intake and changing the muffler...

"Cold air intake" is a factory installed item on your truck. You'll waste money changing it ( in my opinion).

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
"Cold air intake" is a factory installed item on your truck. You'll waste money changing it ( in my opinion).

I saw benefits with mine, combined with exhaust and small mods, thats why I started the thread. Yes, they come from the factory with "cold air", but the secondary benefit from a "cold air kit" is a better flowing (not to mention reusable) filter and a straight tube instead of the accordion factory one, which granted is a small benefit, but a benefit nonetheless. If you go a little farther back in the thread, there was a member who actually made one himself from PVC pipe and a cat litter jug that showed numbers proven gains.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Once the Yukon is running, I will be doing same day tests with a factory intake and a cheap "cold air kit". Ultimately I will be keeping the Volant on it, im just doing tests for those on a budget

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortecxas that sounds good and id like to see real time figures..i plan on creating an air intake sort of like his..not a cat litter box even tho it worked ...maybe a fender from a fiat 500... though it mightt nit be big enough..lol.next on the lost is h piping the exhaust and having true duel exhaust instead of semi duel..

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
^^

unless it's a 95 or earlier, than it might benefit some

Since his name is 1997k1500Calvin, I assumed a 97. He also did the can top resonator thing which leads me to believe vortec.

I trimmed the blade lip on mine (97 C1500) and took off the resonator box. I really don't think the box resonator does anything since it just provides a volume to dampen sound at a certain rpm, but the blade lip trim seems to make a difference. I have to feather the throttle more in wet situations to keep from spinning the tires. Cleaning the throttle body probably had the biggest impact.