Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Vortecxas that sounds good and id like to see real time figures..i plan on creating an air intake sort of like his..not a cat litter box even tho it worked ...maybe a fender from a fiat 500... though it mightt nit be big enough..lol.next on the lost is h piping the exhaust and having true duel exhaust instead of semi duel..

Just do two mufflers side by side and have the pipes run from them if you want dual. Or, what I did, is I got a dual in dual out muffler. Since the left exhaust pipe is so much longer then the right, it helps balance out the flow. And in my opinion, sounds even more bad@$$. This is the muffler I used, and it sounds mean -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Chamber-P...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec804a5e6&vxp=mtr

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Since his name is 1997k1500Calvin, I assumed a 97. He also did the can top resonator thing which leads me to believe vortec.

I trimmed the blade lip on mine (97 C1500) and took off the resonator box. I really don't think the box resonator does anything since it just provides a volume to dampen sound at a certain rpm, but the blade lip trim seems to make a difference. I have to feather the throttle more in wet situations to keep from spinning the tires. Cleaning the throttle body probably had the biggest impact.

Yes, the box is just a full throttle sound deadener, I took it off because I like how it sounds without it. I did my blade lip mod three ways. I wanted to see what made the biggest impact, cleaning or lip removal, or both. First one I just took it off, didn't clean the throttle body, had immediate throttle improvement. Then I thoroughly cleaned the TB (sandblasted and polished) and put a blade with the lip back on it. It idled better, but sluggish throttle response was back. I then put the modded blade back in. I now had better idle and throttle response. So really, its a two part thing, the blade removal helps your throttle, the cleaning helps your idle.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, you'll have to excuse how dirty it is, haven't washed in a couple weeks due to weather

You must be registered for see images attach

Hey buddy I love this! Soo neat. How did you get the heat shield? And what degrees is the tube bent at for this? Thanks!

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do my exhaust side by side... Straight out the back under the bumper.. Kinda unique I never see people that have they're exhaust that way.. That looks like a good muffler.. Do you have a sounds clip? That's hilarious about how obvious my name is.. Not to mention this whole forum we are in is or vortec .. I used to own a tbi c1500 and I loved it just needed an extended cab... I sold the 88.. Bought my 97 for 100$ more and it's z71

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I did mine out under the fenders, muscle-car style. I'm the only one around here I've seen this way. I don't have a good pic right now

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
That doesn't look bad for the money. Most of what I've seen is the $250ish Volant.

I'm with you there. I've got the Volant on the 454 right now, and when I get some time I'm going to put a cheapie on it to see what the difference is in flow on my scanner. I really just have the Volant because I picked it up for $50 off craigslist, otherwise I probably would have just made one, there's not much to the 454 intake tube.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody have a step by step and sizes on everything you need for a cold air intake "custom" or home made.. I'd like to know the sizes if I go to buy all the things at once