Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Some how you guys wondered from cheap performance to led swap... WTH. Lol make with the info on the cheap power!!! amd on that note. Vortec did you do the 411 swap?? was it on a bone stock truck?

CrewCab Steve

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Some how you guys wondered from cheap performance to led swap... WTH. Lol make with the info on the cheap power!!! amd on that note. Vortec did you do the 411 swap?? was it on a bone stock truck?

CrewCab Steve

sadly no... still want to and should :hmm: and yeah, my truck is pretty much bone stock... I need to tune it and get the 411. Should be the next thing I do after the lift and stuff. But that has nothing to do with cheap mods either LMAO

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score

CrewCab Steve

Haha yeah we kind of took a left turn there, if I knew how to move stuff around I'd move that whole conversation to a new thread

gojo83

Reaction score
I will say this is what I did I had the truck apart and instead of doing the 454 TB all I did is take a dremel to the inside of the TB and first used a grinding stone lightly and opened it up all but where the blade is then polished it with a flap wheel and some 1k sand paper. I know it may bottle neck a bit but I think I may grab a spare 454 TB and 350 TB and see if the 454 blade fits in the bore of the 350 if I open it up a little. I also did the TB spacer at the same time but it was a 5 dollar find at the bone yard before the local ones closed. Does anyone know if there is any gains from porting the lower intake on these trucks I have seen some of those sell cheap on craigslist

Last edited:

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I will say this is what I did I had the truck apart and instead of doing the 454 TB all I did is take a dremel to the inside of the TB and first used a grinding stone lightly and opened it up all but where the blade is then polished it with a flap wheel and some 1k sand paper. I know it may bottle neck a bit but I think I may grab a spare 454 TB and 350 TB and see if the 454 blade fits in the bore of the 350 if I open it up a little. I also did the TB spacer at the same time but it was a 5 dollar find at the bone yard before the local ones closed. Does anyone know if there is any gains from porting the lower intake on these trucks I have seen some of those sell cheap on craigslist

Yeah I was just going to port my 350 TB, but then found that 454 one at the yard. I don't know how far you bored yours, but I just grabbed my 454 one and put a measuring tape to it. I measured the bottom bore, and it's right at 3", so if you've ground it out that far it'll work.

I'm sure porting the intake will show some gains. Any time you can give the engine more air is a good thing

gojo83

Reaction score
I will say this I did headers and true dual 2.5 dumps and the spacer and the box delete but I jbwelded the box plug in different than the previous pic and have no real part sticking out except the screw head off the pvc cap I used. shaved the threads and got the BFH and tapped it in there then jb weld around the edge to prevent leaks and you can really hear it. I will say that with the new cap, rotor, plugs and wires and a updated tune it will scoot compared to what it was before with the crappy corroded cap and glazed rotor contact. I would say that now with the tune up and all the bugs worked out I bet I picked up 50+ hp from where it was before because it had no mid range before.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2000 Z71 Tahoe has the standard 100mph cluster w/o teal back lighting, although it has really bright orange needles (every other one ive seen has yellowish needles)

Not sure if its been mentioned yet.. but Ive done cfm diffuser plate mod that can be done to the throttle body blade

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
My 2000 Z71 Tahoe has the standard 100mph cluster w/o teal back lighting, although it has really bright orange needles (every other one ive seen has yellowish needles)

Not sure if its been mentioned yet.. but Ive done cfm diffuser plate mod that can be done to the throttle body blade

Either it's been changed or it was ordered that way. And the needles are originally bright orange (on the standard clusters, Denalis/Limiteds/Tahoe Z71s are white). They turn yellow over time, so yours was either restored or very well kept. Mine were still bright orange when I stripped and painted them.

I think someone has mentioned the throttle blade mod, but always good to have a refresher

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I will say this I did headers and true dual 2.5 dumps and the spacer and the box delete but I jbwelded the box plug in different than the previous pic and have no real part sticking out except the screw head off the pvc cap I used. shaved the threads and got the BFH and tapped it in there then jb weld around the edge to prevent leaks and you can really hear it. I will say that with the new cap, rotor, plugs and wires and a updated tune it will scoot compared to what it was before with the crappy corroded cap and glazed rotor contact. I would say that now with the tune up and all the bugs worked out I bet I picked up 50+ hp from where it was before because it had no mid range before.

I can assure you that you did not pick up 50+ horsepower from a tune-up.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I can assure you that you did not pick up 50+ horsepower from a tune-up.

Depends man...if you were like me and had 2 cylinders that were barely firing at all...yes, you definitely would.

However, I don't think anybody in the history of the world has ever gone on a dyno when needing a tuneup bad, so it's a moot point IMO.