fleet side vs. step side which is heaviest ?? widest tire ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoAdedDiApER

Reaction score
my truck has a fleet side bed and i really like the looks of a step side. my concern is weight since i'm building a performance/pro street truck. anyone ever considered this ?
which bed can handle the widest tire (staying under wheel well without tubbing) ?? my truck has 15 inch wheels with 50 tires and could handle about 4 inch wider tire without rubbing inner spring.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Beds probably weigh about the same, the step side has less sheet metal but the outer bed sides of heavy laid fiberglass.

Wheel wells are also the same size IMO, I'll take a look at our '92 tomorrow and see if I notice any differences.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with Butch here. I can't say for sure on the weight, but I'm pretty sure that both beds are going to be within a few pounds of each other. There's definitely no difference in wheel/tire clearance. If you have to tub on one, you'll have to tub on the other.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Beds are about the same, actualley, i bet a fleet-side might even be lighter.

and if you have to tub, you have to tub, wheel wells are about the same size.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's what I wondered because I thought well fiberglass, it's lighter, guess not. When you get into it, thin metal compared to thick glass, it would be heavier.