Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Dave probably has cut to fit heat grids. They make kits to do back windows but I'm not sure how well they work. It's definitely a trial by fire kinda deal. Hope they work out though.

I want tows but I'm not lifted. I'm afraid they'll look goofy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I did not get cut to fit heat grids.

If you are installing them to use them as intended, then I think on stock height its fine. My 99 diesel was stock ECLB. I think installing them just for the fact they are the cool thing isn't cool to me at least. I like things that are functional, I have them because I tow.

Last edited:

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dave probably has cut to fit heat grids. They make kits to do back windows but I'm not sure how well they work. It's definitely a trial by fire kinda deal. Hope they work out though.

Its ok, im not lifted either. Really want them for functionality.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Got them. These are very nice looking mirrors, the build quality is amazing and the wiring looks really nice and simple

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Let me know how bright the backup lights are. That is my primary reason for upgrading, will help with the camper & trailer at night. Mine are to show up Friday, I won't be home this weekend to install them though.

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score

Wonder if the glass will vibrate as bad as it did with the others...

Hope not!

I'm hoping these are better quality. Not very impressed with my last set of gmt800 mirrors. Half the leds are burnt out! And they vibrate like crazy!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have been happy with my current set - they vibrate yes, but not horribly. I did bend the springs inside the mirror glass tighter which did help some.

One thing I have noticed, the base for the mirrors on the newer GM trucks has gotten larger and larger over the year to help accommodate this with the towing mirrors. The GMT900 and K2XX trucks have quite large bases and more mounting studs - the base on our mirrors is quite small and i'm sure this makes a difference in the overall movement of the mirror head. You'd be surprised how much mine move when extended and the camper starts moving the truck around.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
These came with a larger bracket to help stabilize them as well. Check out my video on the Tube of You.

https://youtu.be/PSb50ZEAzk8

Is it the black one that kinda straddles the inside of the door? My GMT800 style mirrors already have that. Unfortunately the mirror base is only so big to begin with.

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats what I miss most about my powerstroke, the incredible factory tow mirrors on them.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Its ok, im not lifted either. Really want them for functionality.
I can see with my mirrors just fine. When I do tow I don't have issues with the stock mirrors either. I'll upgrade if I ever get lifted.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I can see with my mirrors just fine. When I do tow I don't have issues with the stock mirrors either. I'll upgrade if I ever get lifted.

Dumbos are much better than the plastic mirrors, after having my dumbos for a while and driving my dads 97 burb I dont even know how the plastic ones didn't drive me nuts :

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my 5.7 Vortec powered iPhone 5S using Tapatalk.