Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
wow so if YALL WANT BLINKERS AND RUNNING LIGHTS wire it just like this below haha dang it!!!! dont need anything but 2 splicers pfffftt!!! red+ to brown parking and black- to blue signal done!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Do your lights blink when the parking lights are off? And when your parking lights are on these are on solid, and blink with the signal? If that is the case then the lights have that same diode setup in my diagram built into them. Very few LED lights are wired this way and are polarity sensitive because of it. Instead of potentially destroying my lights I wired in the diode assembly.

Also, it's much easier to get the signal wire at the steering column and parking lights from the dash or convenience center. I know many have asked for diagrams on that but it changes depending on year. The instructions that came with the mirrors had a small guide to tapping into them and IIRC the colors at the column.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
hmmm welll the easiest way for the cheap guy like me (engineer) is to get the glass replaced and see if they can make a certain area transparent i guess with laser etching basically and put whatever design i want on it and lite it up with some leds in the back haha yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa daawwwggg!!

p.s. totally possible

I don't think that's cheaper than buying OEM. Sounds hella expensive.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do your lights blink when the parking lights are off? And when your parking lights are on these are on solid, and blink with the signal? If that is the case then the lights have that same diode setup in my diagram built into them. Very few LED lights are wired this way and are polarity sensitive because of it. Instead of potentially destroying my lights I wired in the diode assembly.

Also, it's much easier to get the signal wire at the steering column and parking lights from the dash or convenience center. I know many have asked for diagrams on that but it changes depending on year. The instructions that came with the mirrors had a small guide to tapping into them and IIRC the colors at the column.

the diode thing didnt work for me...i think because i started it on that 194 sider trying to get two floating grounds if possible lol im guessing not. the 194 has the floating ground like u said and i tested it before i spliced them just to make sure it didnt catch the mirror on fire or burn up. the mirror led only turns on or gets power when i turn the parking light switch on and dont blink unless i turn it on and during the day u cant see them anyways... and i had already wired them towards the front of the truck lol they dont enter the cab. the mirror led has to be safe because it has that floating ground

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
the diode thing didnt work for me...i think because i started it on that 194 sider trying to get two floating grounds if possible lol im guessing not. the 194 has the floating ground like u said and i tested it before i spliced them just to make sure it didnt catch the mirror on fire or burn up. the mirror led only turns on or gets power when i turn the parking light switch on and dont blink unless i turn it on and during the day u cant see them anyways... and i had already wired them towards the front of the truck lol they dont enter the cab. the mirror led has to be safe because it has that floating ground

Well, it wouldn't matter where you hook the diodes up as long as one is 12V+ parking and the other is 12V+ signal. If they were installed backwards then they wouldn't work, as a diode is directional.

So my understanding is, you only get a blinking signal IF your parking lights are turned on and the light is illuminated? If that is the case, your lights aren't functioning the same as how my diagram is working. Right now you are using the parking lights as the power source, and the signal circuit as the ground. When you activate the signal, it's getting 12v to both sides and cancels itself out (turns off), therefore signalling. But they do not signal during the day because the signal 12v+ is wired to the ground side of the LED.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it wouldn't matter where you hook the diodes up as long as one is 12V+ parking and the other is 12V+ signal. If they were installed backwards then they wouldn't work, as a diode is directional.

So my understanding is, you only get a blinking signal IF your parking lights are turned on and the light is illuminated? If that is the case, your lights aren't functioning the same as how my diagram is working. Right now you are using the parking lights as the power source, and the signal circuit as the ground. When you activate the signal, it's getting 12v to both sides and cancels itself out (turns off), therefore signalling. But they do not signal during the day because the signal 12v+ is wired to the ground side of the LED.

lol gimme a second hmm..i hooked up the diodes correctly i think, well take a look onnnn... i think 2 pages before this one n u can see the stripe n stuff on the diode...

yes i only get a blinking signal if and only if i have my parking light switch on....if i dont then the mirror will not blink when i put turn signal (which would be during the day)

for the last part...exactly lol which is fine with me since they r very hard to see during the day.....

maybe my truck is different ?? idk but i failed and found a solution :D

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
lol gimme a second hmm..i hooked up the diodes correctly i think, well take a look onnnn... i think 2 pages before this one n u can see the stripe n stuff on the diode...

yes i only get a blinking signal if and only if i have my parking light switch on....if i dont then the mirror will not blink when i put turn signal (which would be during the day)

for the last part...exactly lol which is fine with me since they r very hard to see during the day.....

maybe my truck is different ?? idk but i failed and found a solution :D

Yeah I had trouble following the pictures. If they were correct then i'd be willing to bet one of those scotch clip connections may have not made a connection to one of the wires, they can be notorious for that. Otherwise, I don't know.

I don't know if yours might be dimmer than mine, but mine are very bright and extremely noticeable during the day... Probably moreso than any of my other signals.

At least you found a way to get it to work for you.