Finally Found One LQ4 + 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
"4L60E" actually does stand for the specifications of the trans and isn't just General Motors trying to mess with us-4L60E stands for four speeds, longitudinally positioned, 6,000-pound GVW, and electronically controlled. When the 4L60E transmission was phased into production, the 700R4 was renamed 4L60. Notice the missing "E" for non-electronic.

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/technical...transmission_build/viewall.html#ixzz2GHiNHwGa

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
You can use the DBW, but you have to swap the gas pedal & some other stuff. I haven't done it, but it has been, just to let you know that it's possible. Maybe someone with exp. could jump in with some info.

Well after reading every swap thread on multiple sites, I think I have lucked out by having the whole donor vehicle at my disposal. All I have to do is take out what I need and stuff I think I will need and from there is should be a plug n play setup. With exception to the wiring.

Although I did see a thread that made the wiring VERY simple. So I have been going over all the printouts from ALLDATA for both vehicles to double check the wiring. It basically states, de pin the 0411 PCM completely and take one pin at a time from the OBS PCM and pin it in the correct location on the 0411. But I dont think I need to do that since I will be using the DBW setup. So I think I will just do it for certain things like cruise control and the emissions things that I need to retain. Unless someone else from OHIO has eliminated emissions components when doing this swap. 96-98, 99ish models and was cleared by echeck without any issues.

I dont want to have the EGR valve but I will be using the stock manifolds because I am doing this on a budget right now. Later I will put headers and shorter intake on. I think while it is out though I will do a cam.

Any suggestions on what cam to go with to make it a beast at the track but very streetable at the same time while retaining a decent MPG. This is my DD after all.

So much research the past week after getting the setup but it is well worth it. Long nights sitting here at the desk reading everything I can find. There are just a few things that im not sure on just yet but with help from the guys that have done the swap and google im sure I will come up with the answers.

Im hoping to pull the drive train on Wednesday. Will post up pics as it happens. Once the drive train and necessary parts are out then the truck will be getting scrapped.

I would just keep it DBW, one of the reasons people swap over is because of the delay in the throttle body going to wot. But if you get a tune, the tune will take care of that. It is definitely best to have the donor vehicle, be sure to keep the gas pedal. And yes, right now research is your best friend. Plenty of swaps on the 98 have been accomplished, so there is lots of info out there. On a cam I can't help you, high performance is something I am not familiar with.

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out the wiring now before it comes out so I dont have to later. I am going to be pulling the fuse/relay box under the hood too just so I have it in case I need it or not.

What is everyones choice of E-Fans? I need to locate some so while the old motor is out I can mount it up.

What radiator do I need? I see some keep the stock one of go with a heavier duty one.

I used the LS1 fans, but the truck fans are starting to get used more now. I know my 05 Silverado has e-fans. I also used my factory radiator from my 1990 truck. It is good to have the fuse/relay box, makes it a little bit easier.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
I would just keep it DBW, one of the reasons people swap over is because of the delay in the throttle body going to wot. But if you get a tune, the tune will take care of that. It is definitely best to have the donor vehicle, be sure to keep the gas pedal. And yes, right now research is your best friend. Plenty of swaps on the 98 have been accomplished, so there is lots of info out there. On a cam I can't help you, high performance is something I am not familiar with.

Yes I am going to keep it DBW.

Im just hoping that when I get the emissions test done that it wont throw any red flags to them. I could just make it to where they have to do a tailpipe test instead of plugging in. Thats the only thing I havent found yet about the swap.

I used the LS1 fans, but the truck fans are starting to get used more now. I know my 05 Silverado has e-fans. I also used my factory radiator from my 1990 truck. It is good to have the fuse/relay box, makes it a little bit easier.

I think if I stick with the fuse/relay box in my truck now, that all the needed stuff is already there. I have access to alldata for reference so that wont be an issue. I was thinking of going with the truck fans.

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
Plugging it in or tailpipe test, either one are fine as long as you have no codes. Also if you stick a newer engine in an older vehicle you are alright, a red flag would be older engine in a newer vehicle.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
You do know that the trans has to be disassembled to put a 2wd tailshaft in right?

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Plugging it in or tailpipe test, either one are fine as long as you have no codes. Also if you stick a newer engine in an older vehicle you are alright, a red flag would be older engine in a newer vehicle.

I thought they read the VIN when plugging in? Dont I need to have the VIN of the donor vehicle in the PCM? I have the 411 PCM from my donor vehicle so the VIN is in it.

You do know that the trans has to be disassembled to put a 2wd tailshaft in right?

Ya I do know that. Its all good. My dad can rebuild them with no problem. While in there I may throw some strong stuff in it. Anybody got any ideas at what I should put in it to keep it healthy and alive with power adders that will be done to the motor?

What did that come out of? ^^^^

It came out of my 2001 Denali donor vehicle.

Its finally mounted.

You must be registered for see images attach

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Iron LS2 is making its way out. I need to order the parts needed for the swap but my main concern right now is getting it out and put on an engine stand to start cleaning it up and tackle the wiring.

This was done in between regular work throughout the day today.

Converter bolts bell housing bolts and manifold bolts and then the motor can come out.