Repairing ac system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For instance, system may hold 8 ounces. If you flush system out and empty the compressor, add 2 ounces to accumulator, 2 ounces to new condenser and so on. A new compressor typically comes with an amount of oil in it and there will be a tag saying so. A condenser may have a tag too but is very doubtful. I have never seen oil come in an accumulator.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Whatever went thru it, get any other coolers or radiator?

Zack8

Reaction score
For instance, system may hold 8 ounces. If you flush system out and empty the compressor, add 2 ounces to accumulator, 2 ounces to new condenser and so on. A new compressor typically comes with an amount of oil in it and there will be a tag saying so. A condenser may have a tag too but is very doubtful. I have never seen oil come in an accumulator.
Okay I see thank you for that information. I’ll make sure to look up how much oil my system holds
You must be registered for see images attach
Compressor looks like this on outside is just aluminum corrosion or old refrigerant? Also the clutch has a slight grinding noise when spinning it freely could that just low oil or worn out clutch. It locks up when I put power to it and doesn’t spin like it’s supposed to but is it worth taking the chance do you know if these compressor fail often? This one hasn’t but I don’t want to put a new condenser and so on and this fail. Any information would be much appreciated.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Typically there is an a/c sticker under the hood that may have the a/c oil capacity.....or look it up.

Based off what you said about compressor and noises, if you reuse the compressor, you may have to take it all down again. IMO, and because I like to spend OPM, I would do it all, including the compressor, especially if you plan to keep the truck. If the system is 8 ounces of oil, the compressor amount will likely have the oil in it already and then you divide the rest. But still FLUSH whatever you reuse.....evaporator and lines/hoses....etc.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically there is an a/c sticker under the hood that may have the a/c oil capacity.....or look it up.

Based off what you said about compressor and noises, if you reuse the compressor, you may have to take it all down again. IMO, and because I like to spend OPM, I would do it all, including the compressor, especially if you plan to keep the truck. If the system is 8 ounces of oil, the compressor amount will likely have the oil in it already and then you divide the rest. But still FLUSH whatever you reuse.....evaporator and lines/hoses....etc.
Freon aint cheap, swap the compressor, accumulator and expansion valve. Also make sure you get the correct oil for the compressor/refrigerant you are going to use. Rockauto has some good deals sometimes- i think i got the compressor, exp valve, oil, seals and accumulator for like 150 bucks (4 seasons brand i believe). Its just cheaper to do it in one shot (in my opinion).

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my ‘99 burb I’ve found that the schrader valves on both the hi/lo sides leak over time. Last time I charged it I remember a guy saying just replace those every time it needs a charge, they’re cheap.

Also since you’re going to be starting with an empty system, do you have a vacuum pump to draw it down and check for leaks before you recharge it? Worth borrowing or buying one online imo.

Last edited:

Zack8

Reaction score
On my ‘99 burb I’ve found that the schrader valves on both the hi/lo sides leak over time. Last time I charged it I remember a guy saying just replace those every time it needs a charge, they’re cheap.

Also since you’re going to be starting with an empty system, do you have a vacuum pump to draw it down and check for leaks before you recharge it? Worth borrowing or buying one online imo.
Yes I bought a kit of Schrader valves just cause I’m replacing everything else. Found a full kit on rock auto so just waiting for that to show up. Then hoping for ice cold ac for this up coming summer.