Finally Found One LQ4 + 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Finally Found One LQ4 + 4L65E

Well I have been looking and I had a motor and trans fall in my lap.

I was gonna do a 5.3 and keep my 60E but I just started working back at my old job after a 5 year hiatus and low and behold there was a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali that has been sitting in the parking lot for the last 3 years. So I asked my boss yesterday about getting the motor and trans and he go ahead. We are just gonna scrap the truck.

So the Front seats and console are coming out too. I already took the DIC and Temp/Compass Mirror out and wired them into my truck and they work great. I will be pulling the seat heater switches from the doors and make it all work in my truck.

If anyone needs anything from it let me know before it gets scraped. PM me

So it has had a tune up (new plugs & wires) a new starter and a new fuel pump. The truck has 122,*** miles on it. it has been sitting for the last 6 months and it fired right up. Runs a little rough from being pulled in and out everyday and shut off right after. Low fuel so it has sucked up crap or is just loaded up from starting and stopping so fast.

Any who I now have LQ4 with and 80E with a 411 PCM too. Only thing is it is and AWD truck. So I need to convert over to a 2WD tail shaft.

I am wondering if the G80 rear end will fit my truck. I want to have the beefier rear end and the limited slip would be nice too.

Because it is AWD, everyone keeps telling me to convert my truck to AWD. Is that even possible? Using everything from the Yukon?

You must be registered for see images attach

SHORT VIDEO OF IT RUNNING

Last edited:

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heck yea, I've been thinking about a 6.0 swap. Going to do anything to it or just swap it in?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Yes its possible, no I wouldn't do it though. That Yukon, is it a 10 bolt or 14 bolt? You mention G80(locker) and limited slip, do you know which it has? You found pretty much the perfect truck for a donor. Most 6.0s I come across are either blown up or priced through the roof.

My assumption is that with a 6.0 and 4L80E 4x4, that has a Corporate 14 bolt with a locker rear. If that is the case, you absolutely want it. You'll need to re-weld the spring perches but its easy. The transmission conversion might be a little more tricky since I think that the VSS is in the transfer case of that trans. I've never converted one from AWD to 2wd before, just the other way around. Awesome pick up, its what pretty much every GMT400 owner wants.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
heck yea, I've been thinking about a 6.0 swap. Going to do anything to it or just swap it in?

Well I was thinking of just transplanting it but I think I will pull it and put it in the corner of my work bay and start doing more research on parts. I at least would like to tear it down and do a fresh rebuild and do a basic build for now. ie: Cam intake exhaust. I want it to be a beast and a sleeper at the track.

Yes its possible, no I wouldn't do it though. That Yukon, is it a 10 bolt or 14 bolt? You mention G80(locker) and limited slip, do you know which it has? You found pretty much the perfect truck for a donor. Most 6.0s I come across are either blown up or priced through the roof.

My assumption is that with a 6.0 and 4L80E 4x4, that has a Corporate 14 bolt with a locker rear. If that is the case, you absolutely want it. You'll need to re-weld the spring perches but its easy. The transmission conversion might be a little more tricky since I think that the VSS is in the transfer case of that trans. I've never converted one from AWD to 2wd before, just the other way around. Awesome pick up, its what pretty much every GMT400 owner wants.

What is possible? The AWD conversion? I really dont want to do it though. I have read that the VSS goes in the 2WD tail shaft and something about rings and gear needs to be pressed in the tail shaft for the speedo. Not 100% about that yet. I am still researching that. I wasnt planning on going this route but now having a 6.0 and 80E, I need to do more research.

This will be a slow build to say the least right now.

But here are pics of the new gadgets I Installed today.

Loosely installed for monitoring purposes. So far so good on the fuel mileage. Seems to be working perfectly.

Temp and Compass works great. Except the display is dim and I need to figure out why.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
I was totally unaware that the 2001 models had Drive By Wire. I thought that didnt come out till 03-04. Looks like I need to find a cable throttle body.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I remember the drive by wire issue on an LS1 hot rod. I think he went with an old Camaro setup or something, it ended up being easy.

The AWD is what I was saying was possible. Heck you might could trade that trans for a 2wd 80E out of a C2500 or something.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
I remember the drive by wire issue on an LS1 hot rod. I think he went with an old Camaro setup or something, it ended up being easy.

The AWD is what I was saying was possible. Heck you might could trade that trans for a 2wd 80E out of a C2500 or something.

I was thinking of posting it here and LS1truck.com & Craigslist to see what I can come up with. I really dont want to do all that work in converting it to a 2WD trans. So hopefully I can find someone that would do a trade.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Well I know that I hated the 6L80Es in the fleet I was servicing, would have traded one for a 4L80E in a heartbeat. I don't know what operating system you would need but I know there are a lot of 2wd 6L80s used for sale right now. I couldn't 30k miles out of them before failure, but they were on HD trucks that hauled around tanks full of water all day every day.