Exhaust smells really rich need suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

My '91 I picked up the other day smells like it's running very rich. My first instinct is to do a full tune up so I ordered a new cap rotor ac delco plugs and wires. I also picked up a new 02 sensor. I was talking to one of my brother's friends about it and he said he thought it smelled rich because currently the exhaust has a thrush glasspack on it and that's it no tailpipe or anything and he's saying that's why i'm getting such a strong exhaust smell. do you guys think that's the case?

I'm not sure what i want to do with the exhaust yet. Right now it's a little too loud for my tastes so I was debating on having an exhaust shop put a tailpipe on and have it exit out where the factory exhaust exits. My other thought was to deal with it for a few months and save up to replace the whole exhaust system from the engine back.

Since i've already ordered the parts for the tuneup I'm obviosuly going to do that first and see what happens.
Also what is the ECM relearn procedure on these TBI trucks? Also on all my other vehicles I used to run a can of seafoam through the intake to clean things out. How would I go about doing that on a TBI truck?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it has a cat before the glasspack... big ole rectangle one. Now whether it has been hollowed out or not is beyond me.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the plugs,what do they look like.You can check the EGR by moving the rubber diapham on the bottom with your fingers.If it don't move or is real hard to move replace it.Thats where I'd start good luck.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah my first order of business will be replacing plugs wires cap and rotor and o2 sensor. If that doesn't fix it i'm gonna check out the egr valve and the coolant temp sender.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it run cold or hot?

I'm not sure from what I've been told it's running normal temp. This is what the gauge reads after 15 mins of driving.

You must be registered for see images attach

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey my truck is doing the same thing,i just replaced the egr and it still smells but i know my plugs and wire need to be replaced.I would just change the plugs and wires and car and rotor,if it still smells it coulnd be the egr .