Exhaust manifold bolt locations - what is behind/around the front most bolt hole on the driver's side head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy everyone -

I recently had a set of headers installed and the shop managed to strip out the threads on the front most exhaust manifold hole on the driver's side head. I've heard that there are water jackets very close to some of these holes, so I hesitate to drill it out and put a helicoil in because I don't know how much clearance I have to do the drilling. Anyone have any advice on how to proceed? I've developed an exhaust leak recently and am trying eliminate it by making sure all bolts are good and tight.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great question! I didn't realize there was an issue until I went to re-torque the bolts and the stud they put in the front most hole came out in my hand. I've had enough trouble with them at this point and just want to fix this thing myself.
Been there before buddy. That's why this time I'm installing my headers

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This guy has done a lot of quality work for me in the past and he was CHEAP, so overall I'm not unhappy... I think he had to drill out more than half of the bolts/studs. He has actually since retired... I think this job may have been the last straw! I'm mainly hoping that this is where the leak is and I can fix it somewhat easily with a helicoil.