Coolant temp sensor - what is a good replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy guys - I was replacing exhaust manifold gaskets tonight and managed to tear the wire off of the temp sensor in the driver's side head. I've already soldered it together once, which was a real pain.

Anyone know a good replacement part number? I'm having trouble finding one with a single wire.

I'll grab some pictures in the morning.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Howdy guys - I was replacing exhaust manifold gaskets tonight and managed to tear the wire off of the temp sensor in the driver's side head. I've already soldered it together once, which was a real pain.

Anyone know a good replacement part number? I'm having trouble finding one with a single wire.

I'll grab some pictures in the morning.
To be sure. The coolant temperature sender is in the head and tells the gauge what the engine temp is. The coolant temperature sensor is on top of engine, near the thermostat, and tells the computer the engine temperature. Sender....sensor...there is a difference. I am guessing at the year and engine of your truck. You did not say.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You'll want to look at the connector end carefully - on the truck's harness. There's senders out there with the old round 1 wire connector, some of those come with an adapter harness. Seems kind of sketchy to me as you're introducing an extra connection that wouldn't be necessary with the correct sender, so it's a potential trouble spot later. The coolant temperature sender switched to a connector that looks like a 2 pin but there's actually only 1 pin in the socket, and a blade in the middle that acts as a key to prevent plugging it in wrong.

Richard