Coolant temp sensor - what is a good replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy m

Reaction score
Howdy guys - I was replacing exhaust manifold gaskets tonight and managed to tear the wire off of the temp sensor in the driver's side head. I've already soldered it together once, which was a real pain.

Anyone know a good replacement part number? I'm having trouble finding one with a single wire.

I'll grab some pictures in the morning.
Gosh. I just went through this and took me a couple try’s at the parts counter. 91 SS 454. Temp gage reads like 220 so I replaced sender and t-stat. Temporarily hooked up a mechanical gage and it read 205 w/a 195 stat. The truck does not seem to be overheating so must be the gage in the dash that’s bad ? ANYWAY …….I pitched the box and the receipt for the temp sensor but orileys does carry it !

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gosh. I just went through this and took me a couple try’s at the parts counter. 91 SS 454. Temp gage reads like 220 so I replaced sender and t-stat. Temporarily hooked up a mechanical gage and it read 205 w/a 195 stat. The truck does not seem to be overheating so must be the gage in the dash that’s bad ? ANYWAY …….I pitched the box and the receipt for the temp sensor but orileys does carry it !
"receipt for the temp SENDER" Welcome to your first post.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you guys are shopping for car parts on Amazon.

Rockauto has the best prices and selection. They just about never get parts wrong if you know your year make and model.

GM Genuine 213928
AC Delco 1551107

I like Standard sensors. Can’t beat that three-year warranty and all their parts are good quality:
TX3 w/o connector
TS387 w/connector

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Rockauto is not always the cheapest and Amazon has much easier returns.
Sometimes, RA price plus the shipping and even with a RA discount code, can be more than Amazon with free shipping. Also gets there quicker too, a lot of the time. Plus, there is the ease of returns as well. RA return process is based off of, "they think they never ever make a mistake either pulling the part or in the description".
I search ebay too. With my ASE and Vietnam Vet discounts, I get some decent pricing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sometimes, RA price plus the shipping and even with a RA discount code, can be more than Amazon with free shipping. Also gets there quicker too, a lot of the time. Plus, there is the ease of returns as well. RA return process is based off of, "they think they never ever make a mistake either pulling the part or in the description".
I search ebay too. With my ASE and Vietnam Vet discounts, I get some decent pricing.

Speed is also a good point. Amazon has so many warehouses, and they're a 24/7 operation as far as I know. Unfortunately, I haven't found as much for my truck the last few years outside of Amazon import "brands". Stuff like sensors seems to be available, Though. Probably because I've got an 8-lug which have mostly passed out of business use now.

The fastest I've ever gotten anything from Amazon was my phone. I ordered it in the evening, and it was on my doorstep at 8:30am the next morning.

Thankfully, I haven't had too much issue with Rockauto returns. There's been a couple of times I got stuck, but I've saved so much money with them, that I'm still way ahead. Especially when you consider that I can pick brands so easily rather than get stuck with autoparts store house brands.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rockauto is not always the cheapest and Amazon has much easier returns.
I almost always shop at least between Rock, Amazon, and eBay. Lots of variables beyond just price. Who actually has it in stock, how fast do I need it, how hard is it to return if it's defective or incorrect, do I have faith the item is legit/not counterfeit, etc.

Richard