Coolant temp sensor - what is a good replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd probably buy this one, from SMP https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=40549&cc=1353451&pt=4748&jsn=552

Weird that this one isn't available through Amazon.

Every time I look at my sender, I hope I don't have to remove it. I'm betting it's pretty well stuck with all the heat cycles it goes through.
I wonder what changed from the TBI to Vortec 7.4, as that's not the part # for the TBI application. Mine has the correct connector on it without an adapter (and is also a SMP item, # TS265) ... seems to have been working fine so far, delivering readings matching what I'm finding shooting around the cooling system with the IR temp gun, which I did quite a bit of after replacing all the hoses, thermostat housing, heater core, and the near disaster with the already-broken and gooped-over heater hose connector.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The wise thing would be to stop the delivery, and order the right one. I've never had to stop a delivery, but I've seen the option on Amazon.
If hasn't shipped yet, it can be stopped. If not, just return it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If hasn't shipped yet, it can be stopped. If not, just return it.
Often but not always. If it’s from a 3rd party they can’t or won’t always. I’ve tried sometimes when it still says “Preparing for Shipment” and they still refuse to cancel. Either way, it goes back after I get it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder what changed from the TBI to Vortec 7.4, as that's not the part # for the TBI application. Mine has the correct connector on it without an adapter (and is also a SMP item, # TS265) ... seems to have been working fine so far, delivering readings matching what I'm finding shooting around the cooling system with the IR temp gun, which I did quite a bit of after replacing all the hoses, thermostat housing, heater core, and the near disaster with the already-broken and gooped-over heater hose connector.

Richard

I always assumed the pigtail was to keep the weatherpac connector away from the exhaust heat. The wire doesn't seem to come off the sensor.