Engine Build for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LunyTic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry if this isn't the right place, but since I use my beast for towing my tournament bass boat...I thought this was the most appropriate place.

I have a:

1993 GMC K1500 Ext.Cab 4x4 5.7L with 278K; 4L60E (supposedly rebuilt 1 year ago); 14 bolt 9 1/2 rear....also has RPO F44 (HD Chassis) and hard loaded for heavy duty.

Question at hand is:

1) Do I just replace the motor with an identical GM replacement like one of these: 1. http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance/809/12520270/10002/-1?parentProductId=761929 or 2. http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance/809/12568758/10002/-1?parentProductId=753961

2) Would this engine ( http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP38301CT/10002/-1?parentProductId=1638259 ) work with the OE components?

Sorry for the questions, just want to know what I am getting into before I commit fully.

Thanks for the help

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
that 383 is a bit pricy especially since it needs premium fuel and probably would just drink it, probably need a chip burned too to get the most out of the upgrade, a while back i could get reman motors with the same kind or warranty for around $1200 so $500 more for that new goodwernch from jegs is pretty good but what do they get you on shipping???

the engine for towing is not as much the issue as the gears, what ratio do you have?

you could get a nice motor but if the trans is working too hard from a bad gear ratio it will be short lived when towing, do you have a big aux trans cooler too?

LunyTic

Reaction score
It has 3.73's in it

I have heard good things about Blueprint motors only reason I was looking at them plus the aluminum heads were a nice touch

Also, I am looking to get better then 5 mpg....so I am more concerned with TQ than HP

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Those gears are fine for constant towing of just a lightweight fiberglass bass boat....as long as your tires stay around the same size as stock. If you're running taller tires, I'd personally change to a bit lower gears to compensate for the final drive ratio being off due to taller tires. Which tranny does the truck have? If it's an 80-series, then you're fine....if it's the 60-series, then when it goes out again, I'd either swap in an 80-series or put a heavy duty kit into the 60 to make it internally as strong or stronger than the 80. When looking for a towing engine, you need to check cam specs first off....you don't want a cam with a duration much higher than stock, but you want the maximum lift your heads will support, which if you're towing, I'd get o-ring/umbrella seal valves versus the oil seal valves.

LunyTic

Reaction score
It is running stock 245/75R16's...Also it is a 4L60E...

I do plan to add headers, high-flow cats, and true 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 dual exhaust and probably a closed element CAI as well...also looking at doing the Ultimate TBI mods

I either have to R&R the motor or I am gonna sell the truck but don't really want to do that especially since I just spent 4 days doing the custom 6 1/2 and 6x9 speaker installation and the thing is pretty loaded out and looks good.

LunyTic

Reaction score
Mine has RPO Z71 and 245's...Also, I mounted the 6 1/2 in the door and the 6x9's in the rear pillars where the 4x6's originally were

LunyTic

Reaction score
OK, I have been thinking about this lately...here is the option I am considering and would like yalls opinions

• Used Motor
    Rebuild Current Motor (it has 278K on it)
    383 long block
    swap 454 and 4l80e in
    swap '99 5.7L and Tranny
    Swap '99 5.3L and tranny
    Used Motor with Vortec Heads and Manifold

I am also planning for headers, cats (gutted possible), and a better exhaust and prolly either a 3 in BL, or 6 in SL. I use my truck for hauling my bass boat (20'3 inches) on a tandem axle steel trailer with surge brakes. Boat is about 1600# dry, 48 gal fuel tank (8lbs. per gallon), 2.5 gallon oil reservoir, motor is 497# dry, and GVWR on truck 6600# trailer says GVWR of 4400#.

Also am considering a used motor/tranny combo so I can still have my truck and build up the motor and tranny. my truck is pretty much stock though now except a sprayed bedliner, bed tool box, hotter plugs, and headunit and custom mounted 6.5 and 6x8 speakers (with plans for either 2-10's pr 2-12s).

What do y'all think?