Engine Build for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well the 454 would definitely give you your desired tow'ability........but it's not the most efficient head design, especially the vortecs....tbi 454 heads would do you better for towing. But, if you want mpgs, the 5.3 with some work and a tune should give you a good mix of both. Like I said before, if you aren't towing anything really heavy and just carrying a bass boat, a vortec engine should be good to go, especially with it being an automatic, you'll be able to build your rpms.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
As far as audio goes, if no one rides in the back seat, you can go with 4x 12s. Find high efficiency 12s that require under 1.0 cu-ft of space, then run 4 of them in iso(2 sets) in a 1.0 cu-ft box. You'll definitely feel the impact of 4x 12s lol.

LunyTic

Reaction score
As far as audio goes, if no one rides in the back seat, you can go with 4x 12s. Find high efficiency 12s that require under 1.0 cu-ft of space, then run 4 of them in iso(2 sets) in a 1.0 cu-ft box. You'll definitely feel the impact of 4x 12s lol.

O went with JL's for my mains and holy crap..they are clean as hell and pretty loud especially considering the are only getting maybe 22w RMS..LOL....My buddies swear I am lying when I am telling them they are only run off the head unit power...LOL I was actually thinking about a pair of W3's.

I am leaning towards the Vortect myself..my buddy has a 99 burb with the 5.7 and it tows the boat like nothings there...But if I go that route I either a) have to get a complete donor - which I have found one with front end damge for a decent price or b) get all the extras like wiring, etc...so that would limit my option for doing any type of tune/upgrades until a later date

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You could always build a vortec with a high lift tow cam and run it carb'd, to keep away from the expensive and sometimes PITA tuning aspect.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 5.3 would be the best for power and economy. A 454 would be amazing, youd be able to tow whatever you wanted, wherever you wanted, but your fuel mileage would be equal to aircraft carriers.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're pulling ~3klbs, I wouldn't worry much about needing a motor built for towing. Any of your choices have more than enough torque to happily pull you around.

The 5.3L would be my choice simply because even a used motor is going to run for a long while, fuel economy won't be dismal unloaded and the used aftermarket is flooded with cheap upgardes.

Otherwise I'd just do a rebuild on your factory engine if it needs it and run it.