Emissions Testing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake1986

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. Got a question ive been trying to hunt down some info. on and so far I havent found anything. Im doing a Lq4 swap in my 98 gmc Z71. As of right now my current status is tear down and planning build options/ setups. My goal hp numbers are 400-450. That being said, due to where I live I will have to Have the truck emissions tested. Obviously this will limit me on me exhaust set up. Can anyone help me out with what other things I will need to check into on this topic? Thanks in advance!

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Where do you live? Emissions laws are drastically different state to state.

mistaake

Reaction score
I sure hope you don't live in California. You're going to have more to worry abotu than exhaust ;)

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Being a 98 I would imagine you need down stream o2 sensors and a tuned computer and that should take care of emissions

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from what I just read its an obd2 plug in test for 96 up vehicles same test we have in mass except ours is for 01 and up 00 down are exempt.so as long as the o2 and evap systems are intact and reading ready plus cat readiness plus a few others,I think its a total of 7 ready points to be complete in the ecm your good to go. heres a link to the mass test and the common causes for fail http://massvehiclecheck.state.ma.us/about_whywhat.html#emissionstests

Last edited: