EFI Swap - been doing my research, am I missing something?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, great insight! What would my inlet fuel psi have to be set at? Injector brand you would recommend?

With a set of stock LS2 style injectors, you're looking at 26lb/hr @ 43.5psi and 34lb/hr @ 58 psi. What pressure will depend on what injectors you choose, which will in turn be decided by what your intake manifold accepts. Select the manifold first, then the rails, injectors, etc will fall into place.

When I did a little research, the ProFloXT offer max efficiency across a wider RPM band being 1500 to 7000.
Info here:
https://www.edelbrock.com/black-pro-flo-xt-sbc-intake-manifold-71383.html
Also, I can just go straight into the intake manifold via throttle body and air filter, clearance issues with stock hood?

ProFloXT will clear the stock hood. May have to do some modifications with the upper radiator hose and thermostat housing, though.

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
With a set of stock LS2 style injectors, you're looking at 26lb/hr @ 43.5psi and 34lb/hr @ 58 psi. What pressure will depend on what injectors you choose, which will in turn be decided by what your intake manifold accepts. Select the manifold first, then the rails, injectors, etc will fall into place.

ProFloXT will clear the stock hood. May have to do some modifications with the upper radiator hose and thermostat housing, though.

Wow, this is such good info! I should have a parts list hopefully soon that I can share with yall

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did a Holley Sniper EFI kit on my 94. My motor is a 97 vortec block with heads You can get the sniper master kit which comes with the proper fuel pump, filters and hoses. The sniper also has an optional, ignition box, coil and distributer that all work together. you will have to a get a Suitable intake. The tuning is done Via the sniper. Theres no other computer to tune. The only down fall is the transmission. Since the computer controls the trans you have to figure out a way to make your stock computer still control it or get a stand alone controller. I will say the Sniper is light years ahead of the stock Tb. I cant speak for the 97 trucks just my 94. If you have the money to spend on a holley Edelbrock, FAST or FItech I say go for it.

With all the talk about the 411 computer swap and tune i maybe missing something though. With my set up it was a matter of bolting the sniper on and tuning it. My stock ECU does control my gauges and my transmission still.

Last edited:

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
I just did a Holley Sniper EFI kit on my 94. My motor is a 97 vortec block with heads You can get the sniper master kit which comes with the proper fuel pump, filters and hoses. The sniper also has an optional, ignition box, coil and distributer that all work together.you will have to a Suitable intake. The tuning is done Via the sniper. Theres no other computer to tune. The only down fall is the transmission. Since the computer controls the trans you have to figure out a way to make your stock computer still control it or get a stand alone controller. I will say the Sniper is light years ahead of the stock Tb. I cant speak for the 97 trucks im jusIf you have the money to spend on a holley Edelbrock, FAST or FItech I say go for it.

With all the talk about the 411 computer swap and tune i maybe missing something though. With my set up it was a matter of bolting the sniper on and tuning it. My stock ECU does control my gauges and my transmission still.
Well, that's interesting, Im going to have to do some research on that as it may be a good option. Thanks!

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, that's interesting, Im going to have to do some research on that as it may be a good option. Thanks!
Your welcome. Its not as complicated as one may think. Just takes a little patience and some wiring. I didnt actually tune it a shop did. I dont know the first thing about tuning.... what is your goal w the truck? I can give u a parts list if you like... my engine is a 97 vortec 383

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
Your welcome. Its not as complicated as one may think. Just takes a little patience and some wiring. I didnt actually tune it a shop did. I dont know the first thing about tuning.... what is your goal w the truck? I can give u a parts list if you like... my engine is a 97 vortec 383
The goal of my truck is to learn, rebuild the motor from the ground up, learn to tune, learn to rebuild the transmission, and etc. My future goal is to have a fun street truck that I can 100% say I put all the work in. It's a fun project basically. Thank you for your insight and any info you can provide will be awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
So here is another question.
What I am currently trying to do is spec out my fuel injectors for this intake build, for now utilizing the pro flo xt with the pro flo fuel rails.
So my questions:

I need high impedance injectors, correct?
Ohm range which I would need to look for?

Here is the # for the fuel rail kit/info I grabbed from their website.
The Edelbrock # 3627 Fuel rail kit including provisions for either Pico or standard height injectors is available.

I am confused when I search for injectors as injectors is still fairly foreign to me (concept is easy, types....no idea) as I am still learning about them.

There seems to be varies types.....what should I be looking for?

Looks let there multiple different connector styles which is not that important to me as I will be pig tailing them to the main harness, any issues there?

Driver type? I am assuming that is the load that is activating the injectors on/off, correct?
I see 12v saturated system, which from my research, defines it basically straight 12v on off switch via the pcm, correct?

Is there different length and width sizes?

Sorry y'all I am asking so many questions, this is prob my last set of questions before i complete my intake build list/price analysis. For all that help me, thank you so much for your insight and patience, I am very grateful.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk