EFI Swap - been doing my research, am I missing something?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

So I have been doing a ton of research on CSFI to MPFI but I am extremely interested in a EFI.
So as I dug into this swap, it just made more since for my future plans of making more of a street truck.

Specs of truck:
97 standard cab 2wd long bed
5.7 w/ auto

Why does EFI interest me?
1. I do not like the plastic upper intake, going EFI deletes that plastic.
2. CSFI to MPFI from what I found is $300 +/- some and I still have the plastic upper intake. EFI allows for better performance and the ability to upgrade in the future. Yes, EFI cost more but it provides so many positives.
3. Work involved in MPFI swap vs EFI, seems like the payoff is better with EFI with my future plans with minimal extra work

So, I found this video on youtube that helps me make sense of the swap.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So basically, this gentleman utilizes individual fuel injectors via direct port to each cylinder (via performance intake manifold). Each injector is hard wired in through the main harness.

Here is the part list he utilizes:
Edelbrock 29135 Super Victor Intake
Edelbrock 3848 Elbow
Edelbrock 3631 Fuel Rails
92mm Ebay Throttle Body
85# Injectors
Aeromotive EFI FPR
16mm and 14mm Female to Male -6AN Adapter Fittings
Ton of braided Fuel Line
411 PCM Recommended

Here is where I want to confirm this swap:
1. Does this swap, taking in account parts list and basic theory, sound good with a stock bottom end?
2. 85# injectors sounds a little high for a stock bottom end, what injectors would you recommend?
3. Should I complete the 411 pcm swap first then obtain the ability to tune? (btw, my truck is currently missing and I am pin pointing the spider for the issue)
4. Any changes to parts list?
5. Any Recommendations/Tips?

Thank you for any insight/help!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
What ever you do. DO NOT rely on this for information!! That is a NA engine and there is no possible way that it makes any where near the horse power that he claims with the mods that he says were made.

And for a point of clarification, CSFI(Central point Sequential Fuel Injection)) and MPFI ( Multi Point Fuel Injection) are both EFI systems. EFI stands for Electronic Fuel Injection, ALL he did was modify his EFI system.

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
What ever you do. DO NOT rely on this for information!! That is a NA engine and there is no possible way that it makes any where near the horse power that he claims with the mods that he says were made.

And for a point of clarification, CSFI(Central point Sequential Fuel Injection)) and MPFI ( Multi Point Fuel Injection) are both EFI systems. EFI stands for Electronic Fuel Injection, ALL he did was modify his EFI system.
I can care less on the hp as I'm not worried about that as of yet, more like I'm interested in future upgrades.

Yep, your right about the efi, and yes, I did know what each accomym stands for, I guess we can define it as "direct port injection". What I'm looking for is clarification of the questions I was asking as i hate the plastic upper intake

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Super Victor is a bit much for a stock long block. A large open plenum is going to hurt your bottom end power due to the lack of velocity at low RPM's. Something like the Vortec marine intake would be better due to the longer runners. It would also give you the externally mounted injectors you want and eliminate the plastic upper plenum.

TPI wouldn't be a terrible choice for the application, but it will still have the limitations inherent to TPI, namely running out of breath around 4500-5000 on a 5.7. The Vortec TPI base is also pricey, considering you would still want to upgrade the runners and port the upper plenum to match. The ProFloXT would be better than the Super Victor as well, but you still have the problem of relatively short runners.

The 411 should probably be done first, as it will absolutely need a tune when you swap intake and injection systems.

Lastly, your 85lb/hr injectors are way, way too big for any power level you'll be achieving anytime soon, and will be a bear to tune. Drop down to around a 35lb injector instead.

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
The Super Victor is a bit much for a stock long block. A large open plenum is going to hurt your bottom end power due to the lack of velocity at low RPM's. Something like the Vortec marine intake would be better due to the longer runners. It would also give you the externally mounted injectors you want and eliminate the plastic upper plenum.

TPI wouldn't be a terrible choice for the application, but it will still have the limitations inherent to TPI, namely running out of breath around 4500-5000 on a 5.7. The Vortec TPI base is also pricey, considering you would still want to upgrade the runners and port the upper plenum to match. The ProFloXT would be better than the Super Victor as well, but you still have the problem of relatively short runners.

The 411 should probably be done first, as it will absolutely need a tune when you swap intake and injection systems.

Lastly, your 85lb/hr injectors are way, way too big for any power level you'll be achieving anytime soon, and will be a bear to tune. Drop down to around a 35lb injector instead.
Awesome, great insight! What would my inlet fuel psi have to be set at? Injector brand you would recommend?

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score

When I did a little research, the ProFloXT offer max efficiency across a wider RPM band being 1500 to 7000.
Info here:
https://www.edelbrock.com/black-pro-flo-xt-sbc-intake-manifold-71383.html
Also, I can just go straight into the intake manifold via throttle body and air filter, clearance issues with stock hood?

eshaw

Reaction score
I suggested the TPI because it has a usable rpm range for a daily driver and I think it looks great. That's just my own personal opinion. A lot of the choice depends on how you want to use the truck. If it's going to be a daily driver with occasional towing I'd base my decision on those factors. If you plan on beating on it and need the upper rpm range then I would most definitely use something other than TPI. For that matter you might want to consider a LS style engine.

The marine intakes are a good choice if you want the external injectors also but come with a weight penalty. If you're going to use forced induction down the road they are an excellent choice. It may take some looking to locate one and you'll have to modify it in order to use it.

Last edited:

HilljackMcgee

Reaction score
I suggested the TPI because it has a usable rpm range for a daily driver and I think it looks great. That's just my own personal opinion. A lot of the choice depends on how you want to use the truck. If it's going to be a daily driver with occasional towing I'd base my decision on those factors. If you plan on beating on it and need the upper rpm range then I would most definitely use something other than TPI. For that matter you might want to consider a LS style engine.

The marine intakes are a good choice if you want the external injectors also but come with a weight penalty. If you're going to use forced induction down the road they are an excellent choice. It may take some looking to locate one and you'll have to modify it in order to use it.

Awesome insight! Thanks