0411 swap + boost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you're going that far in, I personally would go with a Terminator X Max. From what I hear they're easier to work with. For the intake manifold, have you considered a traditional squarebore manifold with a throttle body?
Yes. The Holley Terminator Stealth x Max on a performer rpm air gap intake manifold seems like it might make more low end torque than the Holley port injection intake manifold linked above.
It seems like I'd be going backwards though if I swap to a throttle body type injection because these trucks, after 1995, came with port injection. It sure looks like it would be easier to assemble though, just to bolt on the throttle body vs a throttle body and separate injectors and regulator. I have read on some forums the standalone throttle body units like the stealth can have trouble working correctly on a dual plane intake manifold. I have searched around the web about getting an RPM Air Gap converted to allow port injection. The only place I could find was asking upwards of $800 and that was some time ago. It's probably more expensive now.
I've also considered TPI but saw some photos where the throttle body on those is too far forward and starts to interfere with the accessory drive requiring even more modification.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're probably aware that the stock block is not going to make much more than 500 hp without some bottom end upgrades. It's highly unlikely your Tahoe came with 4-bolt mains, but that's probably better because at that power level you're going to want splayed bolts and a girdle.
Right. RPM kills connecting rods and rod bolts while boost + detonation kills pistons. I've never broken a crankshaft under power, though.

I intend to do this in two primary phases.
The first phase will have two parts:
Part 1 is getting control of the fuel and spark with an aftermarket controller and making sure everything like gauges, abs, and climate control still function like they should.
Part 2 of phase 1 is adding the turbo to the stock motor and tuning it on a low boost setting
The second phase will run concurrently to the first phase starting at part 2. During this phase I'll build a super mild small block that can hold a reasonable level of boost and couple it with 4l80 or 6l80 and make the swap

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about those parts?
That intake and throttle body would get you Port injection.

ECU, Wiring, TCM control in 2nd post.

Best part of the holley is how advanced or plain jane you want to go with the control. When you get around to doing the turbo setup run the absolute minimum Wastegate spring so you can run as little boost as possible and use the holley to raise boost as needed.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about those parts?
That intake and throttle body would get you Port injection.

ECU, Wiring, TCM control in 2nd post.

Best part of the holley is how advanced or plain jane you want to go with the control. When you get around to doing the turbo setup run the absolute minimum Wastegate spring so you can run as little boost as possible and use the holley to raise boost as needed.
Thanks for the links!
Holley seems to have dominated the efi aftermarket. It's good to read another endorsement of the engine management systems.
My struggle is the intake manifold. Mercruiser intakes are iron, heavy, and expensive. I have concerns about the Holley intake linked here, being a single plane, hurting the low end torque. The other readily available port injection units, like the stealth ram, ramjet, proflo, and TPI, look like the throttle body inlet interferes with the accessory drive. I've seen where fabricators move the AC compressor over to the driver side with a piece of steel plate for clearance on those setups, but it seems like the best option would be a dual plane intake configured for port injection, just like the single plane linked here. The only option I've found for a dual plane port injection manifold is to have a Performer RPM Air Gap configured for fuel injection.
What if I used the Stealth Ram Base for port injection and used a single carb top on it with the throttle body? This would provide longer intake runners vs the single plane and still allow for port injection.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea that was the first intake manifold i found. Im not well versed on the older SBC's as 99% of the stuff i work on is LSx.
Holley makes some really cool stuff tho. I use Terminator x max or Dominator ECU's in everything i build or work on.

That 4 barrel Throttle body i linked above works very good too. used one on a 72? transam with the factory shaker hood and incorperted the shaker to the TB and turned out very nice. Used a progressive linkage on the TB so it drove around nice and smooth and at 40-50% throttle the secondarys started opening.

Since you havent gotten deep in the pocket book yet, why not just LS swap it and have everything you would need? Wouldnt have to go thru the trouble of throwing money at the bottom end and just needs a cam, springs, and pushrods.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have concerns about the Holley intake linked here, being a single plane, hurting the low end torque.
From everything I've read, that's not an issue with port injection. Single plane intakes dominate everywhere with port fueling.

Carburetors and throttle body injection prefer dual plane intakes at the low end.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you havent gotten deep in the pocket book yet, why not just LS swap it and have everything you would need? Wouldnt have to go thru the trouble of throwing money at the bottom end and just needs a cam, springs, and pushrods.
I agree with what you're saying. I just don't want to LS swap it. I may change my mind further down the road. I think a gen I small block can make good torque and power but not as much peak power as a comparable LS of the same displacement and cam timing. This particular build is for driveability not all out maximum power and at the moment I'm still of the mindset I can do this with a Gen I and have a really nice combination.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I look at the money aspect of it.
I towed with a turbo 6.0 for years and couldnt have been happier. 6-8psi at 1800rpms and it chugged along like it didnt care.