DOOR PINS - PROBLEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Replaced the door hinge pins a while back. The door closed better for a while. Had the door open for a month while working on the interior, now the door is closing worse.
Used dorman hinge pins/bushings. Did not replace the door roller. Should I replace the pins again as well as the door roller? Tried swapping the passenger striker on the drivers side, didn't help, so I know its not that. Also replaced the weather stripping on top of door and the big one that goes around the door. Removed the top one and the door closed perfect. Put it back and it also closed perfect for a while, now its back to closing the door hard. Any suggestions?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would guess your door is hitting too low on the striker. How is your body line with the door closed? If it looks good, you are going to want to take a floor jack and put under the door (on the flat part, not the lip that sticks down) and jack the door up some to take the sag out of the hinges. This will allow it to close smoothly on the existing striker. If the body line is off with the door closed, pull the striker and drill the hole bigger that it goes in. This will allow you to move the striker to get the body line right, then you can re-adjust the door with the jack method until they shut properly and the body line is straight. Nothing here is readily adjustable. #GMT400probs.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If there is slack in the pins and bushings buy OE pins and bushings. If you take a digital caliper and measure bushings in an auto parts store, you will find that the tolerances are way out to lunch on the cheap stuff.

I used stainless pins though from my auto body supplier, they wear longer than most aftermarket ones, plus not rusting is a good thing.

Also check the door latch: when the door pins and bushings are beat out, the latch and striker are usually on their last legs as well. Once there is slack in the latch mechanism, the door moves up and down on the striker as you drive down the road. This leads to accelerated pin and bushing wear, however most of the aftermarket bushings are either too large on the I.D. or just garbage material.

If you have access to a lathe, you could make your own out of aluminum bronze... they might just outlast the vehicle.

Unless the pillar or door is actually bent, there is no need to bend it to make it close.

Edit: also make sure the hole that the bottom pin goes into is not worn, if it is, you need to address that by tacking a piece sized for the pin ( make it tight so the pin has to be beat in ) in place on the lower hinge portion. ( on the jamb side )

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I have worked on several of these that the door was left open on for an extended period (like said in first post) that the hinges sag on, then the door hits low on the striker, even with OEM pins and bushings installed. Just make sure your striker is hitting in the center of your latch and your body line is ok first.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
The lines look ok. The door latch is old, but I believe its still fine. Might buy gm hinge pins and bushings. I removed the hinge spring just to see if the door would close better. It didn't. It still closes the same. I believe that rules out the door roller. I see the door latch locks on to the door striker, but something keeps the door from closing all the way. Maybe those dorman pins and bushings just suck, like michael hurd said.

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
If your door has some sag because it was open to long ... don't be shy to use a bit of force... I used a jack under the door, with a piece of wood not to damage the door or paint. I jacked up and down a few times, even pulled on the truck to try and bend the door hinges. Once you got it lined up real nice, put in your new pins and bushing and call it a day. May need some twisting, bending, prying... just don't be shy! Keep one thing in mind though, little at a time. Its easier to go abit more then to far and go back.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Typed onto the net about new weatherstripping and doors closing hard. I guess this is normal. It needs time to conform and to be in the heat of the sun for a while. I did notice when its out in the sun it closes perfect. I do feel a resistance when I close the door, due to the weatherstripping. I'll see how it goes.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
The door still closes hard after all this time gone by. I do notice that the door pops when I open it. Bought my weatherstripping from lmc. Anyone with the same problem? Should I buy gm weatherstripping?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That pop is more than likely the roller. I have the same issue and both of my rollers are shot, but so are my pins and bushings.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
The door still closes hard after all this time gone by. I do notice that the door pops when I open it. Bought my weatherstripping from lmc. Anyone with the same problem? Should I buy gm weatherstripping?

It pops due to the roller OR the stryker is too far inboard