Did I break my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the battery ? If so, this cleared your codes, but don't panic. If you are not getting a flashing SEL, it means there are no codes.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You should at least be getting a code 12 with a jumper between A and B and the key in the ON position. No other codes means no other faults. Code 12 is normal.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should at least be getting a code 12 with a jumper between A and B and the key in the ON position. No other codes means no other faults. Code 12 is normal.
X2

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK update... I am getting codes 15,22,34 which is tps, map, and temp sensor. 2 of those have been replaced. If I unplug the temp sensor during idle I see no noticeable change. Does this mean I may have found my problem?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know when I had my 93 WT I changed several TPS. The truck would idle strange, fast some times, just not normal, but this would also throw other codes. Just throwing parts at a problem is not the best way to find it, but if the parts are cheep enough, and it teaches you something about your truck, then its all good, I guess. My TPS issues would start after washing my engine @ the car wash, just FYI.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Do an IAC re-learn procedure. Check all vacuum hose connections. Grab the throttle linkage and see if you can get any movement out of the shaft. ( IE- wore out bores in the throttle body )

Check all grounds to the engine, not just a visual check... check them for resistance with a multi-meter. Remove the distributor cap and rotor. Inspect the distributor pole piece magnet for cracks with the aid of a magnifying glass.

The ECM is after all, a computer, GI=GO.

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely had a bad connector on the temp sensor, replaced that and the temp sensor. Still have high idle still have codes 15 and 22 Temp Sensor and TPS. I have spent way too much time and energy on this high idle. Had a few ppl look at it, nobody has figured it out yet. Too depressing to see my truck sitting not being driven lol. Might as well keep searching for a good mechanic and throw in a bunch of $. Will probably save me in the long run. I appreciate all the suggestions and help from you guys. But I'm tired of fighting this thing and I could never sell it, too much money in it. Time to throw more in.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the battery for several minutes to clear the codes after you fixed the temp sensor? If you didn't those codes are still stored.

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I did. I kept the battery disconnected during installation because I replaced the connector also