Dang nabbit that boy is crazy.. A i4 in a suburban!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bestof1999

Reaction score
thats right. thinking now about a swap... A Diesel swap...A Detroit Diesel swap... a inline 4 Detroit. But before you start going off about things
like "power" and stuff, Here me out.. Im talking about a swap with the Detroit Diesel Series 50 i4. little brother to the Series 60, an i6. It sounds
Small, right? Well it aint, im talking here about a 8.5L Displacement, with at least 250 hp and 725 lb-ft of torque. Now i plan to tow with this truck, and to use
as a daily driver, and something to show off. Now everyone is doing cummins swaps and stuff.. I could do a Oldsmoblie 350, but thats for anothor place, truck,
time, and budget. So now, let her rip, whats wrong with it... And also plan on a 4l80e or a 5/6speed manual

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Would it fit? I'm assuming it's just an s60 with two cylinders cut off...

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You want to put an engine 4 feet tall that weighs over a ton in a pickup.... uh... giver....

I could find a lot better ways to waste money.

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was just going to say that, 2200lbs, that's double what my Cummins weighs. Plus you need to track down a trans with a sae bellhousing or an adapter, not to mention all sorts of other problems. Ive seen a dt360 done, but even that wasn't easy.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
An Olds 5.7 diesel is extinct, like a dodo bird. I know of two in existence around me, but even with aftermarket ARP head bolts, and good head gaskets, they still have their issues. The crankshaft and connecting rods are fine for the job they are doing though. Valve cover gaskets? Not for this engine. Silicone. The good stuff. Like beat the valve covers off with a hammer and block of birch.... otherwise you will have a slobbering POS... as like all GM engines of those years, the valve cover rails were short, and oil basically sat against the bottom of the cover.

The injection pump will not like today's fuel, however I am sure that you can get updated internal parts to deal with today's low sulfur fuels. Factory rear crank seal is a 'rope seal'. IIRC, a 460 ford rubber seal will work in that 5.7 diesel. Brackets if needed will be very difficult to source. Most all of the pulleys for the water pump will be worn out if you can find them. Long belts whip, and from factory they had a stainless guard built onto the hose clamp to protect the lower rad hose from the hose wearing through.

The diesel starter will need a brace, good luck on finding one if the engine you source does not have one. There are a myriad of studs to hold on brackets to brace the alternator and power steering pump, as well as mount other items. Pretty critical to have them all in the proper place.

They also had issues cracking the rear main bearing cap. If you need a vacuum pump, good luck finding one that works.

bestof1999

Reaction score
Ive seen a 454 put inside a 1985 chevy s10, it can be done...... Well see a soild axle swap in the front and all that redone

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats right. thinking now about a swap... A Diesel swap...A Detroit Diesel swap... a inline 4 Detroit. But before you start going off about things
like "power" and stuff, Here me out.. Im talking about a swap with the Detroit Diesel Series 50 i4. little brother to the Series 60, an i6. It sounds
Small, right? Well it aint, im talking here about a 8.5L Displacement, with at least 250 hp and 725 lb-ft of torque.

That's wayyyy too heavy of an engine to put in a pickup... You want like an International DT 360, easily found in retired school buses with an Allison trans bolted up.

bestof1999

Reaction score
I do see what you guys are getting at. The weight and size... maybe i will do a cummins 6bt im just brain-storming though... Would be fun

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
go big or go home :)

I wanna see a 700 horse v-10 turbo diesel out of a big rig in a gmt400!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
one of your best bets would be a Cummins 4bt...came in bread trucks and the like. Most often paired up with a TH400 trans so it already has the Chevy bellhousing pattern and flywheel to mate up to any GM trans. At worst you may need to swap flywheels/flexplates to work with your particular transmission.